New To Forum and an Old Find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jim in wmass

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking in the shadows for about a month now. I would have registered earlier but my EN Security wouldn't let me. That's fixed now.

A lot of really great post here at these forums, and I think I know more than I ever did by reading here. You Maine and NH guys sure look like you have fun.

I think this year I definatley will be looking more for the dumps The time I spend metal detecting might be better spent looking for these old dumping places since finding the good coins with a detector is getting real hard these days. Almost as hard as finding good dumps. Too much time is spent trying to find out of the way places to detect. Since there are hundreds of cellar holes in my area, and I think I know the majority of them in the county, there might be some good bottle stomping grounds here. I use to dig for old bottles when I was a kid, but got hooked on metal detecting. That was 36 years ago. A few years back the bottle fever came on for a while and I was pretty succeful in finding some 1880's - 1910 stuff but nothing fantastic.

Here is an old John Wyeth malt extract bottle I found in a hallow beam. I haven't got the bottle right here in front of me so I think I've got the name right. The beam was attached to an old building that once was a jail. When the beam rotted and broke away it exposed the bottom of the bottle wedged up inside. This was found way back in 1970-71 there about. I still have it and it's 1/4 full with content and original cork.

I'll keep a lurkin', til I start finding the stuff.

Jim

Ur52215.jpg

Attachments

• Ur52215.jpg
    Ur52215.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 78

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome, are you from NE. There's a couple shows coming up in April in NH that should be fun.
The wyeth you talk about is pretty common but the story is great. I think you should hang onto it. Maybe one of the inmates had it smuggled in or it was put there during constuction. Either way, that's cool.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/April_Bottle_Show%21/m_49854/tm.htm

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/New_England_Bottle_show_Apr_2_%21/m_47325/tm.htm

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Jim, Your bottle is more common up north than down south.

If you make the April 2nd show you will meet alot of fourm members including one short fat southern boy. We gonna have a great time.

Welcome to the forum.

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Hi Jim,nice to have you on board,the reason Warren and I are going to this show is to try to teach those yankeeees how to have fun mmmmmmm.

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
It less than a month away, have fun, I'll be lucky if I stay up for the whole thing, is there a place to nap[:D][:D]

jim in wmass

Reaction score
Thanks to all,

I use to frequent the Knotty Pine and the two auction houses nearby. I think the last time I was up to Knotty was when I bought my insulator guide book there, a large book on canning jars and a couple table top display cases from a couple booths.

It's too early for me to say if I will make it but more than likely could. We'll see....

Here are a couple more of my finds. These are the most recent I think, found about 3 years back.
I got discouraged then because like you guys said about the Wyeth, "common". I get sick of find the same stuff.

Everyone knows the Hostetter's bottle. I like it because it is stainlees.

The other bottle I love because It a nice quart size. I rarely see one that size. It is embossed:

QUARNTEED

FULL QUART

SHORTELL AND TIMINS

1662 - 166 STATE ST

BOSTON, MASS​

Sq45707.jpg

Attachments

• Sq45707.jpg
    Sq45707.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 72

madpaddla

Reaction score
Jim:

That Warrented should fetch some money. I know the unembossed ones aren't worth much (b/c I have alot of em) but yours is nice. I know the hostettlers bottle is one of the more common bottles to others but still have yet to get one of those either. On the postive, those bottles are from the right era, and the Warrented looks spotless. Yeah New England is crawling with diggers, but the thing is with all these diggers up here ....somehow we all find new untouched spots. Hope you get a shovel in the ground with Spring coming.
Madpaddla

jim in wmass

Reaction score
Hi madpaddla,

When I found the Warrented it was in an area where much of a dump had been wash out off a river embankment. Lots of broken bottles like that one. Almost had a couple more whole quarts, but only almost. I climbed up the hill and got up behind some of the big trees growing there and it was on the upper side of the trees I was finding the botttles. These were trapped there. Found a few smaller bottles like the Fosse's extract and unembossed meds and other extracts. This was mixed in with them. So I felt that the climb was well worth it for the one bottle anyways.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Warren, are you gonna stay for Knotty Pine on the 9'th. I think it's only about 50 miles away.
Also on the subject of flasks I have a GUARANTEED/TRADE (pitcher with Q)MARK/FLASK, No name but very busy with embossing.
"NOTICE/THE/CONTENTS/OF THIS/BOTTLE IS NOT SOLD/AS A MEASURED/QUANTITY/BUT AS A/QUANTITY IN BULK"
Just sharing really but any thought on contents or what the heck it means would be helpful. I was thinking it may be for a doctor to dose out or perhaps something strong for the quack peddlers to add to their elixers.
Thanks as always

Ki19038.jpg

Attachments

• Ki19038.jpg
    Ki19038.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 72

bearswede

Reaction score
Whiskey, Eric... Probably covering their butts if the bottler didn't get an exact pint or quart in any particular bottle...

I'll have a table at Knotty Pine....

Ron

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem