New to hobby digging Post 1900s trash dump on family property.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DKHJ

Reaction score
Hello,Am digging a trash dump on family property and having a great time. Probably created by a neighbor and used my guess 1900 through late 40's - early 50s. Have zero expectations I'll find anything valuable. Yield so far about 50 bottles, dozen small bottles of various shapes, fruit jars, soda bottles, household type glass containers.lots of rusty cans,broken bottle glass,broken plates, teacups, drinking glasses4 marbles2 intact milk bottles80% of 1930's toy artillery cannon, Head of dog figurineAm trying to clean up as I go. Bagging up rusty metal, making pile of glass to look at now and box up later.Saving china and pottery shards and wondering if it is possible to piece together a whole item as souvenir of experience. Have found bits of one item strewn over a 15x15 foot area. It's a neon green ceramic planter(?). Current theory is it's a hippo or a cow, found snout yesterday. Have enjoyed reading forum very much posters here are very kind! <Edit: Font size>

twowheelfan

Reaction score
There are people here who collect cans. Even if they are rusty sometimes they are saveable. That sounds like a perfect spot to find conetops!

DKHJ

Reaction score
Strangely enough I have not found a lot of liquor bottles. Most items appear to be household related. The site is very close to wetlands and most cans are so rusty they are more akin to wet cardboard than metal. If I find any conetop cans I will put them aside and come here for advice. The overall dump site appears to be approximately 15x20 feet. I have dug one corner 1-2 feet deep. It's a casual process, putter at it and am in no hurry to finish. Bit sad the cold front came in and ground frozen. Wondering what I will find next is the best part! :) <Edit: Font size>

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
It's nice to have a dump like that where you can take your time and not worry about losing access. There are a lot of good bottles to be found from that time period, especially sodas and milks. Keep us updated!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Household dumps find their way to the edge of properties, or at least to an unseen/unusable area. The one I play around in is just outside the property-line of a house that recently sold. There's a driveway, fence, row of bushes then the woods where it all was dumped in three mounds a few feet deep. Yours seems to produce better and older stuff. Congratulations on it, and welcome to the forum. :)
Any pics of the dump and your finds? What have you come up with on the bottles and items in terms of research?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Some people get crafty and set broken stuff into tabletops or any number of things. Something to think about if your creative.West of Beantown, what a coincidence, me too. Of coarse that is most of the state.[:)]

DKHJ

Reaction score
House next door, and the only house on the road for a long time was built in 1919. Wanted to log a few items I found that may help ID bottles- Pocket Watch. "A"Intact except for front lid and missing watch hands. Very rusty. 2nd dial at 6 o'clock, minute hand missing. Watch face unreadable. Pried back cover off. Innerds appear intact, extremely dirty and rusty. Cleaned area available on works when I pried back cover off and found following text- Pat'd in USA Made in USA. 1563431, 1709146, (1?) 848520 Pocket Watch "B"In bits all over the place. So far recovered watch face, small gear, parts of the works, front cover (may belong to Pocket watch "A"). Watch face text-IngrahamE. Ingraham Co. Bristol Conn. I understand pocket watches often mix and match case, works, and watch face, so dating can be problematic. Found yesterday..Valet Autostrop RazorAutostrop Safety Razor Co. New York USA

RES1CUE

Reaction score
Post a picture of the cans if you can, HemiHampton and I both collect them. They should have 2 triangle holes at the top. If they are older, they could have 1 large one.

David Fertig

Reaction score
Welcome to the hobby. I started digging about 30 years ago. Right now, I have kids, business, and farm work to keep me busy. I still try to get out some, but most of my digging is on FeeBay, local auctions, and contacts. 1910's-1930's is a good time period for milks. Set even the pieces aside until you know how common or not it is. There are some local to me that are only known as broken pieces. Good luck and post some pics if you can.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH