Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

New to this Forum and need help

lenorahill

Sep 8, 2017
Good afternoon. I just purchased a tote full of antique and vintage glass bottles at a garage sale. There must be about 100 or more bottles. I really know nothing about these bottles and just beginning to do some research. My first question is, I am not sure if I should wash them in soapy water to clean them or not. With some antiques, I understand you should not do anything to them. Secondly, what and where is the best place (web sites, books, etc.) to find information on these bottles. I was able to locate a site that showed maker marks, and was able to find information on the first two of the bottles I pulled out. They were Owen's Glass, possible 1919. Any and all information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Harry Pristis

Jul 24, 2003
Northcentral Florida
Welcome to the hobby, lenorahill. Congrats on your efforts to educate yourself. I recommend Cecil Munsey's book, COLLECTING BOTTLES for its vast amount of authoritative information. It's out of print, but a used copy is usually available on Amazon.com for a few dollars -- a true bargain.

This forum thrives on images of bottles, so don't neglect to show us a few of your new treasures. ----Harry Pristis

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Jun 14, 2014
Locō movērī
Websites:
This one divides alphabetically (in several sections) various maker's marks and names to help with dating:
https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks/

This one is divided into many sections that let you do visual diagnostics on American utility glass (bottles) to try and figure out when they were made:
https://sha.org/bottle/

As for cleaning them, if they are just glass, no paper or applied-colour label ( ACL, or 'painted'-looking labels), water is fine.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrashMaster