New utility I picked up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
Id go with mid Atlantic or out your way with that Doug, a little dark for Ohio though I guess... Most our New England glass has some olive, although not always. The flared lip makes it early....

the "bump" would have to be a mold repair or some type of early vent, definitely not a bubble or seed... funny thing is I had a small OP utility with "a" very similar bump in the base, cant remember if it was exactly like that one, I do remember it was olive with an applied lip... sold it a couple months ago.

donalddarneille

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: KentOhio

That's neat that it still has some original ink residue inside. It leaves no doubt about what it held.

Looks more to me like that may be blueing residue on the interior, I see a lot of bottles that were held over for this purpose. Does anyone know of an effective way of removing the blueing without tumbling? I would be very hesitant to tumble anything with a lip that fragile.

onabininger

Reaction score
the bottle and the super color,,super sweet..doesnt need pro clean ,,in my opinion,,,I would love it as is,,its a beauty

annie44

Reaction score
I think New England, but can't narrow it down from there......nice, scarce color. Exactly the type of bottle I'm drawn to these days.......I need your son's email address so I can offer him a trade!!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone.

OT - funny you posted that other link, I got to put that same bottle next to mine at the show..It has a smaller diameter (like most of these I've had), and is a straight olive color.

Cindy, You'd try and take a little boy's bottle?[:D] Only kidding, he's not little and is quite the wheeler & dealer.. I looked down Saturday to find individual packing peanuts & bubble wrap on my table with price tags.. The bottle was a gift for watching the table while Dad was "yapping it up".. He say's he collecting unembossed, pontils of any kind now. It works out great for me when we dig.. A pontilled med for me, a puff for him, a flask for me, a puff for him,..........[;)]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Could be "Bollimer". Or is it too early for Maryland? I'm basically clueless when it comes to IDing early East Coast glass.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Great bottle, your son should really appreciate that one!

I'm with tigue on it being a mold repair, it is quite clear that the bottom halves of the mold are significantly offset, so that protruding bump of glass must have been designed as a way to make sure the bottles wouldn't lean significantly. The wear patterns on the bottom are great, and almost all localized on one half of the mold. That's wild! I haven't seen anything like that before, not saying i've seen much, but considering how you didn't notice it before you bought it I'd say you got a better deal on it than you first imagined. That is a really cool bottle!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Thanks for the explaination,that makes perfect sense.. They sides are offset..They drilled the mold and now it sits perfectly flat..I noticed the bump when I bought it but didn't think much into it.Thanks again.

phil44

Reaction score
I'm no expert on Stoddard Glass. One of my mentors and I used to take 4 day digging trips in various parts of the north east. One time we went to New London Conn and we dug a utility with a dot on the base similar to yours. He thought the dot based utilities were associated with Stoddard. I've seen ebay listings that confirmed the association. I'll post a picture of it tonight. Mine is probably an ink, flared lip over 6 inches tall only in a definate Connecticut color.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey