new york black glass pontil hamilton

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Wish I had the dough to make an offer. Fine old bottle.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Nope. But thanks for the thought Eric.

It was a bottle that arrived in pieces. A very rare early embossed bottle too [:(].

Weird thing is that it was very well packaged when it left the seller but was opened by customs when it arrived in the UK and EXTREMELY badly repackaged by them: a drunk, blindfolded 2-year old wearing boxing gloves could have done a better job. I think the breakage possibly happened before the bottle was repacked. i.e. whoever broke it knew they had done it and tried to hide the fact.

But it turns out that the 'small print' excludes breakage for breakables, and on the issue of a negligent customs service I've been corporately stonewalled (the bottle wasn't even sent by normal mail: it was a very well known and expensive global courier!).

GuntherHess

Reaction score
its those small print details that have made me hesitant to sell outside the US.
Even with paypal as the money changer there is still a bit too much intrigue in the whole process.

mr digger1

Reaction score
when I post rare and valuble bottles I always double box them, wrapping with bubble wrap in the small ist box and the wrapping again into a lager box its the best way and never had any problems, looks like the bottle is staying in the uk

going to a very respectable long time collector, but thank you for those who replied to my post and will add my other bottles which are in my collection for the forum to look at.

best regards steve.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about it Matt. Steve's described double-boxing packaging would be good against anything except careless / malicious / stupid customs agents who completely unpack the things!

The problem I recently had is the only one I've experienced in 10+ years of regular trans-Atlantic transactions, and it's a weird and very untypical one.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
good to know. maybe I'll venture out into the world wide sales ocean.
I used ship to anywhere years ago (pre paypal) and had some bad experiences.

If you have any less than obvious tips for international dealing I'd love to hear them.

Obviously pack well and declare the real value.

I always wonder if other countries have artifact laws that i'm ignorant of.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH