Newbie Jackpot

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Digs_in_MD

Reaction score
Almost a year ago, I found that my home is located on the site of a defunct hotel (operating from 1880's through 1920's) in Maryland, which touted the healthy mineral water derived from the numerous natural springs on the property, until it burned down. We on Chattolanee Hill still get our waters from these springs. Since then, I have found over 1000 medicine, beer, cooking, poison, and of course Chattolanee Water bottles as well as many doll and toy parts, gaming items, jewelry, and coins. I've finally purchased a camera and will be able to post pictures soon, after I catch up a bit on cleaning. My real issue is that I have no real idea of what I have. Some items I have been able to find online, but others are either too local (mostly druggist and poison bottles, locally marked liquor bottles, and silverware/bottles/decorations marked with the hotel's insignia), or foreign (i.e. perfume & cologne bottles, & German crockery liquor bottles), or obscure (unmarked ink bottles, round bottom bottles, fancy china dinnerware). I am so stumped and my requests for info have gone unheeded. I can't even find anyone to help me dig, but the hotel covered 60 acres and my 5 acres is obviously on the dump site. I'm hoping that if I start photographing, I'll get some input. I am wondering if there are any good resources for pricing such things, as I have accumulated too many to store. Any advice is welcome, and pix are upcoming.

Best regards,
K

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi digs in md. welcome to the forum. sounds like you found a fantastic spot to dig. i'm not sure where you are located. but i have heard of the water bottle. steve (colbolt bottles) has found some. i believe thier was a link at one time about that comunity. there is the balt. bottle book, the balt bottle club meets once a month. on march 2nd is the yearly balt bottle club show and sale. i'll be there. if i can help you with anything let me know. rhona

Digs_in_MD

Reaction score
Rhona, thanks! I actually live 15 minutes from where the Balto bottle show will be held, and will definitely be there. I appreciate your response, as I've felt lonely in my endeavor. I am so in love with my site that I have trouble not going out and digging by moonlight! It all began with a silly bromo seltzer bottle (now I have hundreds and don't count them in the invetory), and I can't wait to become more familiar with this fantastic forum.

My dig site meanders down a hill through burn areas and pits. There are some Native American remants down by the water, with shell middens and bead caches, but for the most part I am overwhelmed with bottles. I spend an hour or so every few days and it is my favorite thing to do.
Thanks so much for your response,

Katie

Digs_in_MD

Reaction score
Cobalt bottles, I am interested where you might have found Chattolanee bottle(s). I know they were exported into Baltimore and along the railroad lines. Stock, the owner, advertised them as far as Europe, but I've only heard tell of them as far as Pennsylvaina, and the western Maryland counties of Frederick and Garrett... As always, any response is unexpected and appreciated.

Best regards,
Katie

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi katie, i will have a table at the show, L 13. please stop and say hello. i don't find a lot of old things, but i love diggin, never know what you will find. well i have to get some bottle in the tumbler yet tonight. rhona

Plumbata

Reaction score
Well, in the dump that got me started with this whole thing back in May, I found (only) 180 cork bromos, so if any of my experience can be applied, then you probably have a couple dozen unique or very rare items that your local collectors of several decades have never even seen before. Thus proves that this hobby is open to everyone, regardless of the level of preparation that some may think is necessary. When my dad worked for the USDA in MD over a decade ago, he told me about people bragging about the jugs they unearthed from the (one of the) Frederick dumpsites, but only until recently did he come to know and feel what it was all about and how cool it was. Just try to record and remember the implications of what you have found, and you will do this hobby and our American history justice.

Whenever you get your camera in operation, PLEASE post the more rare bottles which you have only recovered a few of, as guntherhess and many others in your general area may be able to tell you how important of finds they are.

rlo

Reaction score
hi Katie, it does sound like you have a great spot for digging. Am excited to see your pix! these guys here have a lot of info to share, so sit back & enjoy the show! sometimes you have to bump a post cuz it might have gotten overlooked. don't be shy shout out it's nice to see another woman on board.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Wow Katie, sounds like you have a great site. Are you the lady I talked to on the phone or is she one of your neighbors? The Chattolanee bottles I have found are locally found in Baltimore and Harford County but they were sent all over the place, possibly with the help of the North Central Railroad. You see them on ebay quite often, so there are many of them out there. Besides the smaller ones like I've found that come in Automatic Bottle Machine and Blown in mould versions there are 5 gallon water bottles. Anything you find related to the Hotel is of historic value and thus pretty cool. Any bottles with the hotel name on them or local druggists and poisons could be worth some bucks and the Baltimore bottle book would be a good place to start. You may be able to get one at the show, if not you could borrow one from me, or Rhona or some other local on the forum. I have been there before and you live in a pretty cool area with some nice homes. Hopefully youll have lots more digging left on your place and since you've now been bitten by the bottle bug you can branch out from there. I would be interested in seeing your stuff and possibly digging if you are interested. The Baltimore show is coming up soon!

P.S. When I was at Chattolanee a local told me there was a history book on the Greenspring Valley. Do you have that book?

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93