newbie's first dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mysecrets88

Reaction score
Hello,
Very excited to find my first dump site, there are tons of broken glass, but I am finding some fun stuff for me. I think site is from 1880's to 1930's, old hospital site. Most bottles I have found thus far look to be 1900's -1930's. Thre is to much growth right now to have a steady search but come fall should be better venture. Will do my best. Found a nice gold ring also along with a wheat cent 1917 in great shape. Will hopefully find some more goodies. Will be working on that old privy I started earlier, now that the warm weather is here I will sit in the woods and dig.
Pat

Sq46089.jpg

Attachments

• Sq46089.jpg
    Sq46089.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 95

mysecrets88

Reaction score
here are some of the names on bottle Hires Household Extarct, Burnetts Extracts, Sylpho-Mathol, Bakers Extracts, Wildroot, Yacht Club Botling works, Sawyers Crystal Bluing, Watermans Ink, Fletchers Castoria.
hpe you like, any info as to dates or values would be appreciated
Pat

mysecrets88

Reaction score
The pear shaped bottle is the wildroot.

Ki18017.jpg

Attachments

• Ki18017.jpg
    Ki18017.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 100

woody

Reaction score
Looks to be mostly from the early 1900's. 1920-1930 type bottles.
There could be potential for older bottles around there.
Keep looking!!!

pvg_320

Reaction score
Fun stuff there. Can't wait to see what comes out when you dig deeper.

How did you find the dump? I have been trying to find my first one, and with all the creek walking, hikes in the woods, and dirt road driving I've done, I think I would have one by now. But nothing yet. Going to county archives today to see if there is any record of old dump sites, and to look up any privy laws (depth, liners, cleaning, etc) that my town may have had.

mysecrets88

Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks for the info. The reason I found the dump was a lot of hiking. I was following old walls looking for cellar holes. Came across a little section of bottles,found a few, then went back about a week later with more time and found the old creek bed, again with walls along the bed I figured they would have used this as a point to dump. There are about 8-9 different spots along this wall that have trash piles. Research shows this was a hospital back in 1898 for the insane, then different uses thru the years. Abandoned now but getting ready for a developer soon, so I will hit this site hard till them. I do alot of looking because of metal detecting hopes, but the bottles have been an added bonus. It is fun to find a bottle lost in the woods and give it a good home.
Pat

Rrey199

Reaction score
The Hire's is a root beer extract bottle. It should be square and embossed. There were several runs of those, all a little different. I found one of those when I was installing drainage in my yard. I had spend a fruitless couple of hours digging at a dump and went home hot and tired. At home, decided to wash the backhoe, since it was caked with mud. The hires bottle fell out of the treads. You never know, do ya?[:)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583