Newest Saratogas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I just ran into this seven page thread on SARA5TOGA'S. Some way I missed it before. I can see a lot of postings that deserve some comment from me. A lot of the comments and questions have answers that I thought everyone had covered.

The one posted with a comment about all the bubbles in the glass - is Mountain Glass made using a wood fired furnace. There was a lot of other things I should go back to review, but I can't now because we are in the process of moving. I have a big collection of Saratoga bottles because I studied the transitional development needed to meet the demand for the glass bottles. I didn't even see any mention of the Makers Marks that identified the furnace shop crew that made them. I didn't see any mention of the shoulder vents or the disappearance of the whittle marks - both subjects I nailed down when I was studying them. So I guess I need to do some additional writing for your SARATOGA appreciation group.

RED Matthews

epgorge

Reaction score
Amen to that Madpad. He was a good friend. We have lost quite a few over the past few years, eh?

Ep

myersdiggers1998

Reaction score
The only two I have so far.

DDA7B0EBCF124353BCE626502FE6E6E6.jpg

Attachments

• DDA7B0EBCF124353BCE626502FE6E6E6.jpg
    DDA7B0EBCF124353BCE626502FE6E6E6.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 118

epgorge

Reaction score
Red,

I am very interested in hearing more about the morphology of the Saratoga Bottle industry. They were a piece of history for many years. The clear ones in this thread seem to be rare. I believe the carbonated water kept better in the darker glass.

I have visited the Saratoga Springs historical site and recommend it to anyone who is interested in the water and the vessels that held it. Very enlightening. You can still taste the water there though I don't recommend it. Yuck. Very salty and the minerals form huge monuments of different colored mineral mounds.

There is a trail and information stations along the way. It tells of how this huge industry almost depleted the mineral wells. The grounds are full of buildings that held the baths for the rich and sick people to soak in. It was a multi-million dollar industry, evident by the amount of mineral spring bottles available still today.

I hope you are all moved in and ready to sit down and educate us.

Joel

TwistedTea12

Reaction score
Tried to call you today!! Give me a call sometime tommorrow!!

I was going to suggest if you were up to it to create a new informational post on your blog and I'll repost it on my site aswell on the whole topic of "Congress Waters and Sararogas" in general !! Let me know what you think I know this is something you would definitely do very well just call me tommorrow if you see this I sent you a PM too !!
Talk to you later, Red I hope all is well!!!

ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

Well I just ran into this seven page thread on SARA5TOGA'S. Some way I missed it before. I can see a lot of postings that deserve some comment from me. A lot of the comments and questions have answers that I thought everyone had covered.

The one posted with a comment about all the bubbles in the glass - is Mountain Glass made using a wood fired furnace. There was a lot of other things I should go back to review, but I can't now because we are in the process of moving. I have a big collection of Saratoga bottles because I studied the transitional development needed to meet the demand for the glass bottles. I didn't even see any mention of the Makers Marks that identified the furnace shop crew that made them. I didn't see any mention of the shoulder vents or the disappearance of the whittle marks - both subjects I nailed down when I was studying them. So I guess I need to do some additional writing for your SARATOGA appreciation group.

RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Wow, You guys almost make me feel guilty. Next month I will be getting some glass out of storage so I guess I will try to concentrate on one or two subjects. SARATOGA's and BIG BOTTLES for Advertizing - that never or seldom held any contents.
I also need to consider some time on the subject of HISTORIC Glass Canes and Batons These have fascinated me since I was a kid but I never could afford many of them. I got my first piece of one when I was a kid, and have followed them with interest ever since.

There was a collector in Ohio that had a big metal building with glass canes hung from each of the ceiling joists. It was scarey to walk in the building for fear one would drop and hit you. I never found that place again to get into it with the owner.

The biggest one I have ever seen was about 20+ feet long and it hung over a bar in Pennsylvania. It was made by a man named Schmidt and his companion helper. He was famous for his canes and I have six of them in a special wall rack that I bought back when I had cash, from the Wheaton glass museum - before it was a museum.

I also have one that had a cork finish. These were filled with whiskey before a community holiday parade. They are rare because after the parade the whiskey was consumed and the canes were thrown against a building and destroyed.

They were made in a lot of early glass houses for Parades and I know that the Clyde Glass plant in NY had several makers.

That first piece I have came from a Clyde blowers house and I have several Clyde pieces now. If this is interesting = tell me.

I cant imagine making that long one - it would have needed almost a three floor working situation to make it and one hell-of-an Annealing Furnace. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH