No Scrubbing Necessary !!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello all, Well I just called the White Ox company to ask them why they say not to use on glass. " They say the reason is because it has some fluoride in it and by law they have to put the warning on it. He said he has used it on glass himself without any problems. He also said you can buy the crystals that 1lb. makes 2 gallons and does not contain fluoride. He claims it should clean the same in glass bottles. I will get some this weekend and try it to see if it works the same as the product I now have and post my results. It is less expensive to buy that way also. Thanks, Kevin...

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've been using 100 % pure white Crystaline Oxalic Acid powder since the 1970's on my Beer cans to clean rust off them. Much cheaper this way. LEON.

Attachments

• d7c8985e0aae43a68998cd50101e3fcc.jpg
    d7c8985e0aae43a68998cd50101e3fcc.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 88

splante

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback iblackvelvet,and dumpdiver might have a point

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Yes, most interesting indeed.Hydrofluoric acid is used to do glass etching and made by combining floride and hydrogen I believe. Florine is added to water and toothpaste for oral health. Hydrogen also makes HCL. I hate chemistry.Was it a sodium chloride thing or was General Ripper right the whole time, fluoride is bad.OK, who remembers the reference? I'll bet Jamie does.

Oldmill

Reaction score
wow that appears to work really well. I have a few bottles that have a heavy mineral stain on the inside of the bottle do you think it would work on that.

MNJars

Reaction score
$9.99 for a 32 oz bottle of White Ox at my local store. I tried this product this weekend on 2 different jars with some significant interior white haze (not sure what causes the haze). I had big hopes for this method, and at first I thought it might work, but after I rinsed them out and dried them off they looked about the same as they did before. I may try leaving the White Ox in a little longer one of these days. I only left it in there for a couple of minutes.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello, You are correct about using this on a sick bottle, The White Ox works very well on light to medium stains and work excellent on soda and wine bottles that have many years of dried product left inside. It also works very well on rust stains inside and outside the bottles. I left some in a sick bottle over night and it removed a small amount of discoloration. Thanks, Kevin....

splante

Reaction score
any expierments on the outside of acl bottles..will it remove the paint?This reminds me of "acid magic" I played around with a year ago or so cleans bottles well but will etch the glass if left to long

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigJayKay