"Noble Catcher" Is this a Cyrus Noble Whiskey Bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CarltonHendricks

Reaction score
Ray Noble, Cuban league and Negro league

Creek, Thanks much....a very good factoid....I looked him up and he was a catcher...and started playing in 1945....But the bottle looks much older....plus there's a "Noble Pitcher" as well and he wasn't a pitcher....darn good try but I'm dismissing it....Nevertheless thanks very much..any lead is a good lead at this point.

Ray Noble

Born: March 15, 1919 in Central Hatillo, Cuba
Died: May 9, 1998 in Brooklyn, NY
Ht:5'-11", Wt: 220
Batted and threw right
Position: catcher
Playing Years: 1945-61
Teams: New York Cubans, New York Giants (majors), Oakland Oaks (minors)

CreekWalker

Reaction score
I would look under tobacco card era players. Maybe an obscure player or is this a representative player bottle , noble simply meaning honorable, brave and true. I looks quite victorian!

botlguy

Reaction score
Being a baseball fan and an old catcher myself, I would say that the style of uniform, mustach (sp) and such would indicate that the player himself, regardless of who manufactured the bottle or filled it, was from before 1900. 1880 might be a bit early but I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Fun item, I look forward to the solving of the mystery. GOOD STUFF ! ! !

P.S. If this were 1965 - 75 I would know exactly who to ask but the're dead. RIP

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Here's a pair.
711FIGURAL BOTTLES - Pair of early 20th C. frosted cologne bottles. #1 - depicts a baseball pitcher in period uniform, marked 'Noble Pitcher' on base. #2 - depicts a baseball catcher in period uniform, marked 'Noble Catcher' on base. Each bottle has open unt$ 200.00
818086.JPG
FROM

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Maybe an obscure player or is this a representative player bottle , noble simply meaning honorable, brave and true.
That may apply here with the above "noble pitcher" and "noble catcher".
Good call ump.

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score
Not a sports kinda person but does the picture on the left look like he's holding a stick/bat like use in Cricket to anyone else?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Buffalo Hunter

Not a sports kinda person but does the picture on the left look like he's holding a stick/bat like use in Cricket to anyone else?
Hmmm, a lot of those TOC figurals were French made for export. I can't see the bat in the pic but Cricket isn't out of the question.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Carlton,

I see that you are intent on getting to the bottom of this mystery.

NoblePitcherCatcher.jpg
"Only on line reference found from a 2008 auction, with "Noble Pitcher" mate

I feel confident it was a Cyrus Noble Whiskey bottle. I can only find one reference to it online. There was one that sold at an auction in Feb. 2008 along with a mate “Noble Pitcherâ€â€¦.The listing refers to them as cologne bottles, but 12†tall seems big for a cologne bottle. There was and still is a Whiskey called Cyrus Noble Whiskey. From what I can ascertain Cyrus Noble Whiskey first appeared around the late 1870’s and was most famous in San Francisco and the west.

It was supposed to be just a quick run thru the mall as I was supposed to shortly meet up with friends at a nearby movie theater…So I sort of had to buy it in a hurry…run to the movie and dinner afterwards…by the time I got home it was late and I finally got a chance to look it over. Phew!...It was one of those purchases where after the dust settled I was very I glad I pulled the trigger!!...

I found a guy online in Seattle that does artistic glass restoration…After some discussion and photos to show him what I wanted he quoted me $800.00 to $1,000.00 to create a glass top shaped like a pill box cap…He explained the process he’d have to go thru …including matching the frosted finish…and that he anticipated he would need to make several before getting it right if he could do it at all…He wasn’t positive he could match the finish but was willing to try….so his price made sense…..and could even be a bargain!

On the other hand I was perplexed what the original cap looked like and was made of….I would be using artistic license by creating a pill box cap top since I’ve never seen the original and would only be guesstimating….After I got the $800.00 to $1,000.00 estimate I started thinking it thru and wondered if the top was originally glass after all. I speculated a fine decorative decanter would have been glass but a production bottle wouldn’t have." From.

Cyrus Noble did have a line of painted decanters 1n the 1970-1982ish range.
musicman.jpg
From.

bartender.jpg
From. Have you enquired HERE? This might also be a place to ASK.

As Eric has mentioned, it may be French made. The frosted glass and ground lip are distantly tinkling French bells to me. His uniform shirt seems to be consistent with the 1900-1910ish time period, per this page.

1900PennJersey.jpg

"U. Pennsylvania c1900 Complete Game Worn Baseball Uniform" From.

1900bas2.jpg
From.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen