Not a Hutch or a Codd?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cerberus314

Reaction score
Ok here is a weird piece...at least for me. It looks like a typical Hutch bottle until you check out the lip. Inside the lip is a ring.....like something was wedged in there. Also in the bottle was a small ball...not glass...that barely fits inside the mouth. It looks to be made of wood. The bottle is embossed "The New Process Bottling Co. Philada. PA" with a JH in the middle and a JH on the base. The bottle also has a dent on the right side as you are looking at it...possible from a bad mold.

Any ideas?

Bz79309.jpg

Attachments

• Bz79309.jpg
    Bz79309.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 81

IRISH

Reaction score
Very nice [;)] , it's some sort of gravitating stopper patent that I've never seen before.
There are hundreds of different patent Aerated water bottles and it can sometimes be hard to work out what the patent name of a bottles is, they are all great though [:D] .

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I bought one very similar with the ball and seal still in place. The ball is a floating bakerlite ball that is very light. The seal looks like twisted twine or hemp. The person I bought it from sent me some info on the patent which I will look up and get back to you. I am pretty sure it was called a Twitchell patent.

cerberus314

Reaction score
You know what, youre right:

http://www.worldlynx.net/sodasandbeers/lips.htm

Tapered lip with ring, circ: 1848-1870

This type of lip is often called a Twitchell top by collectors. George Twitchell of Philadelphia was the first to use this top in the late 1840s and used it almost exclusively on his soda, pony, and porter shaped bottles. This lip style was later used by other bottlers in New York, Georgia, Illinois, and Pennsylvania, but was never really that popular.

Oddly enough this top isnt tapered, but more of a blob top.

cerberus314

Reaction score
See what happens when I do some research.

Apparently there are a few bottle stops of the era that fit the bill. One by Twitchell, one by W.L Roorbach (US patent 320,701) and one by a F.R.H. Thomas patented Dec 10, 1895. They all seem to follow the same principle. This bottle seems to be from Thomas' design since it only shows a small ring inside the lip with a blob top...so im assuming thats what it is :)

IRISH

Reaction score
That's a patent I'd never heard of [:-] , yet another to add to the list of 500,000 that I don't have [:D] (yet [;)] ).

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi again,
Found my info at home. Invented by Willian L. Roorbach. American patent June 23 1885 and Aug 4 1885, numbers 320 701 and 323737. Commonly known as the Twitchell Floating Ball Stopper. A hollow composite ball or marble held against a rubber washer that was secured in a neck groove.
Mine still has the ball and washer. Embossed Gannett & Morse - Augusta ME. Around the bottom it is embossed Patented Feb 20 1883, June 23 85 & Aug 4 85.
I also have another from the USA with a glass rod with a rubber knob on the end. Very similar to a stick bottle but smaller. Principle would be the same.

Cheers Alan

PS. Hey Irish, sent me your arm and a leg and I will send you my Twitchell patent.

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi Again,
I know nearly nothing about American bottles. If how often a type of bottle appears on eBay is a judge of its' rarity then I would say the Twitchell is much rarer than a hutch. I can remember about 2 twitchells compared to thousands of hutches in 3 years of checking eBay out. Mind you, these bottles didn't attract a lot of bids nor significant money so maybe they are not that rare. Need another American to answer this question.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter