Object in root ball

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glopf43

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently found this thing stuck in the root ball of a recently fallen tree. The tree I would guess to be 150+ years old. It (the tree) is about 1/4 mile from a ca. 1795 plantation house part way down a shallow ravine. This location is the "classic" place for a dump and I would think that this artifact inforces this idea. What do you think this thing is? It's metal, about 2&1/2 feet long.

Wt59096.jpg

Attachments

• Wt59096.jpg
    Wt59096.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Wt59096.jpg
    Wt59096.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 82

glopf43

Reaction score
Here's a view of the tree and the general area to give a sense of scale, I've put a red square around the object...

Sq47586.jpg

flasherr

Reaction score
It is either a foot board or head board from an old iron bed if you look where the metal stops and goes into the tree there is a kind of square piece with a groove. That is where the side rails go into the old beds. I would def. metal detect or dig that area. i found an old bridge where they used and old bed for rebarb in concrete if i had a hack saw with me i would have cut the ornate areas off the exposed pieces but i didn't and haven't been back to that area again
Brian

flasherr

Reaction score
If you are out digging and come across angle iron looking pieces with odd shapes on end don't toss them if in good shape you can usually get $15+ a pair in bad but usable shape. If the person needs them for a bed its and easy $20 in your pocket.
Brian

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1