Odd Attic Find (Smoking Women Brass Clip)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score

I came across an extremely nice brass desk mount paper clip. I know its not a bottle but thought since you folks find lots of random things digging/finding someone can help.. Can anyone tell me further details about it? Date, mfg, where something like this would of been used? I could not find a thing online.

Here are some pics.

Thanks in advance. [:)]

DSCF5406.jpg

DSCF5407.jpg

DSCF5408.jpg

SkinsFan36

Reaction score
Can't find one exactly like yours but if you google image search brass letter clip a ton of similar results appear. Most people calling them victorian age.

SkinsFan36

Reaction score
Looks like they sell for a pretty penny too. Examples on Ruby lane priced from 100-300 dollars. IDK if that is actual value.

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
It reminds me of Art Nouveau era but Victorian can also be a possibility. I'm pretty sure it is an original, as it was found with items from the late 1800s early 1900s including 1908 dustpan , 1909 iron , tobacco tins, and a 1893 Chicago Exposition flower plantar. This will most likely reside in my personal collection but I just like to know the history on items like this as that's half the fun.

I appreciate any further help on this one.

Thanks

glass man

Reaction score
It held opium for lady smokers...well it could have!![8|]JAMIE

epackage

Reaction score
Unless someone was looking for this exact style to fit a desk set I'd say you're in the $20-40 value range if you could find a buyer...

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
Opium ehhhh? This does fit the time period where women only opium/cannabis dens were popular. The wives getting high out of their minds while the husbands were frolicking at bordellos getting drunk.

It looks like shes smoking a cig. but her facial expression says otherwise/ [;)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
It reminds me of Art Nouveau era but Victorian can also be a possibility. I'm pretty sure it is an original

Hey Dave,

You're correct. It's very Nouveau. She's a beauty. The Art Nouveau movement straddled the Century, as did the Victorian, and early Edwardian. I can see her though, psychedelicized for the Filmore West, in my mind's eye.

image12.jpg

Smoking for women was viewed askance in the Victorian era. Forbidden fruit and all that. New York City had ordinances on the books against women smoking in public well into the Twenties.

I don't believe she's smoking a joint, opiated or otherwise. The clip, I believe, was meant to be hung, judging by the hole in the base.

torches.jpg
Torches of Freedom, 1929.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229