Odd Perfume

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
It's also weird that the cold mold "whittling" lines go around that circle rather than through it. Something else maybe you can tell us, do the mold lines stop at the bottom edge of the bottle, or across the bottom to the circle, or all the way across the bottom through the circle?

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Sorry ,had to take wife to town . Sandchip ,forgot to add bottle is ,light amethyst ,and seam goes just to bottom of base .Maganese content would date this between 1880- 1914 (?) Gunther that could be reason for strange mark.Joe ,yes this came from the farm we were at but at different area that we did not make it to. Thanks for replies
m16.gif

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think it's an 1870's or '80's piece.. I don't know what's going on with the base, that's just weird, but it ain't no Owens ring.. that lip might be applied or rolled, the seam usually goes all the way up to the lip on applied lip bottles.. I don't have any rolled lips to compare.. it's a good looking bottle and I'd be DELIGHTED to dig one like it! [:)]
PS ..sure it's a perfume and not a poison? Anyone?

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Charlie ,i do not think it is applied lip,looks different than any applied ones i have ,closer to rolled ones .Not sure about perfume ,poison thing but would guess perfume.This came from same farm as metal things i posted on" unexpected discovery" Metal Larking USA . Possibly bottle was imported here ?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Digswithstick, I will agree with the rolled lip and the mold neck could have been in the mold to produce the seam; but the parison shape of the requirement to make the distribution this good in the puffed edges of the bottle would have had many tries before they could have gotten it this good. The circle is not a baffle valve ring, that is for sure. It is not an Owens shear ring, so it has to be a vent ring, which was also the centering lock for a bottom hinged mold. I would love to get my hands on it for further study because it is so different from the normal finds. I am also sure it is a perfume type of container.
Nice find for a technical study. Thanks for showing it. RED Matthews

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Thanks Red for information,i would not have given this much thought if i had not received ABN education
m9.gif
. If i should happen to find another i will send it your way (i still dig there),and if i ever find a J.W. Whitling , PA milk i will let you know ,must be scarce . Would like to send it to you for study ,but my wife likes it too .I could send you better pictures (maybe ?)if that would help any ,thanks again
m16.gif

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Yes Rick, This bottle forum is like going to a special school of knowledge sharing. It is an ABN EDUCATION!!. People like Matt K. and Steve A. and Ben T. etc., etc., etc., all make it a special place to spend two or three hours at, everyday. My only problem is that my little lady doesn't always like it!! Ha Ha - tough t----said the kitty. RED M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1