Odd shaped milk

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DLWJohn

Reaction score
I found this piece today while walking the railroad tracks looking for insulators. I cant say that I've ever seen a milk shaped like this one before, anyone familiar with something this?

2uqeik6.jpg

Reaction score
This is what is referred to as a "cream top". In the days before homogenized milk and skim milk you got whole milk that had been pasteurized. Whole milk naturally separates into cream and milk, with cream floating on top. Someone figured how much cream would float on top of a regular quart of milk and designed the neck in such a way as to indicatd approximately where the cream ended and the milk began. Silverwoods dairy used this feature quite extensively in advertising their milk.
But you have only half of the story. A small "S"curved spoon was used to scoop out the cream and these are the other half of the story - also quite hard to find nowadays. Any milk bottle collector can show you what these spoons look like.

Homogenization was developed to spread the cream throughout the milk so that it wouldn't separate. Skim milk has the cream removed or partially removed as in 2%.

brian.bret

Reaction score
No I have not seem this milk bottle before. I think this is good for the antiques collection [:D]

DLWJohn

Reaction score
Interesting, I never thought of something like that.

Now I wish it was whole... I'm not a milk collector but thats interesting enough for my collection...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter