Oil Change Gone Bad...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
I decided to take care of the "routine" task of changing the oil in my truck today. Being a mechanic by trade, this is usually no big deal. In fact, I have been pretty proud of the fact that I can change the oil in the big diesel pickups "without spilling a drop". Well, my bragging came back to bite me today.

Now, this is not my first time doing this on my truck. The engine was just slightly warm from driving a short distance earlier. No problem, right...wrong. I pulled the drain plug, and the blasted oil shot out forcefully enough to bounce off the bottom of the drain pan and shower my left side with dirty, rancid diesel oil. It was all through my hair, in my ear, in my eye and in my mouth. Let's just say it's not something you would want to put on your pancakes [:'(] Expelling the gunk from my mouth only briefly delayed the tirade of profanity which followed. I would guess that about 1/4 of the oil spread over my shop floor, which made a nice mess being that my truck holds three gallons of oil.

From now on, if the "temp" gauge moves a millimeter, I'm letting the damn thing sit and cool. It wasn't hot enough to burn me, but just warm enough to wreak havoc and foul my mood on a Friday afternoon. I just thought I'd share my suffering so at least everyone can have a laugh at my expense [:)] ~Jim

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Poor you! [8D] Ya gotta laugh now, doncha?

I guess this helps explain something.. if I drive my car to the mechanic and show up at 7 AM just when they're opening, and ask for an oil change, it takes them until lunch time to git'r'dun.... but if I leave my car there the night before, they call me at 7:15 next morning saying it's ready.. I don't know how Jiffy Lube does it..

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Jim,
I'm sorry you had to go through that but it sure was nice of you to share it with us for our enjoyment. Something good came of it.

Jim

Reaction score
Brake fluid in the eye, eh? That's no fun, either, and I think I actually prefer the taste of used diesel oil over that of brake fluid. Nasty stuff, real bitter. The worst stuff I've ever got in the eyeballs was carb cleaner (Gum Cutter). I've never been maced before, but that has to be pretty close to what it feels like.

No matter how careful we are, these things will occasionally happen. It's only aggravating when it first happens, and as long as no dismemberment or permanent blindness results, it's just plain funny afterwards. ~Jim

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Vehicles lets see they SUCK! Jim you should feel lucky when you hear my breakdown story [:D]

Took a day off from work had an appointment at the dentist,so far the day sucked right? I came got in the truck turned the key and nothing. So my truck sat in the dentist parking lot for 2 days. Paul and I checked a few(easy) things but it wasn't meant to be easy this time,the fuel pump was toast.
I was going to get a tow truck but naaaa $$$$ we decided to tow my little S10 using Pauls Ford monster truck with 40 inch tires.we used a tow strap.it was a hell ride but kinda fun. That must have looked funny [:D]
So the S10 made it to my mechanic.

The next day my wife Jeep Liberty s air conditioner compressor went. It broke down in her friends drive way sooo no transportation for 4 days. we put the compressor in but had to get it pressurized. I saved a few buck with the tow and the compressor but the bill was off the hook. These dam mechanic.s are robbers,opps sorry Jim [;)]

Thennn her map sencer went and her blower resister was bad . We put them both in but the aggravation is not worth it.

Note never touch a blower resister when the car is running it will burn your finger prints off.

I also have a bad ball joint on my truck.

Ok that my Vehicle Rant for today-------------[:mad:][8|]

Jim

Reaction score
That sux, Rick. I see that all the time with my customers- When one of their vehicles breaks down, the other one (or two) go bad. Fuel pumps and ball joints are common problems on S-10s and Blazers. I've also had a Liberty in with a bad compressor.

It's sadly true that there are many bad or just downright crooked mechanics out there. We have one of the "chain" shops here that should be classified as a criminal enterprise. As much as I despise how they do business, I should send the creeps a Thank You card for all of the new customers I get after they get burned by them [;)] They gave one lady an estimate of $900, I fixed everything that actually needed fixed for about $100. Scuzzbuckets [:mad:] ~Jim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH