Ok! Don't laugh at me!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: subsoil

Cool finds!!! I suggest picking up a spring steel probe, they are invaluable not only for privies, but seeking out areas of what I call "Crunchies" - Ash & dump layers that are noticeable when probed by noise or feel. You may even have some privies out there! Some of your modern dumps may have been used earlier in the settlement and some older stuff could be hiding under there. I recently dug a rural farm dump clean using the probe/scratching method, I was able to clean it out because it didn't go that deep. Sometimes they alternated dumping spots and probing farther away from the obvious debris could lead you into whole new sections.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I'm makin' me a tool list now!

cowseatmaize - Well why I didn's ask my husband before is beyond me, but he just told me that our place was made for cattle and slowly converted to row crops. This is why there is lots of fence rows. The area where the bottles were (the woods) has been in timber for a long time. The fence lines are pretty old. So, I may not have anything here, but he is getting me the number to the previous owner. Why he didn't give me this before is beyond me too...LOL!

rcn72679

Reaction score
Oh yeah...about the trees. They're about 100 years old. Where I found the bottes are a designated forest area. No car chasis either, just old farm equipment everywhere.

nipsy

Reaction score
sounds like you have the perfect setting, to spellunk any time you want. the one thing you might want to consider is a metal detector. it's a quick way to find the rusty stuff in a dump pile. and be sure to check out the inside of the foundation closely people used to hide thier valuables behind stones. LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter