Old Farm House Where is dump?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Alek77

Reaction score
the problem is, the lady who lived there last before we burned that old farm house down lived literally in her own trash. her whole house was filled permanetley with trash. she also threw trash everywhere around the house (found a modern vinegar bottle about 50 feet away)....so that may trick me.

Alek77

Reaction score
hey guys i started digging behind the house near an old maple tree and i am digging up nails, bolts, rocks and bricks. I found 1 bottle laying on the ground. it is small, does not have the seam on top so it is before 1900, and there is ash in the hole i am digging. Possible farm dump?

beendiggin

Reaction score
Sounds like you found something, keep digging it out. It might be a small spot or the start of a bigger dump. Let us know what you find.

Alek77

Reaction score
The strange thing is, there are no shards

Alek77

Reaction score
I dug on the left side of the house near the old tree, and found tuns of old iron stuff, but all the glass was melted except a 1930s Rawleighs jar and a Certo bottle. Should I dig on the riverbank?

Oldtimer

Reaction score
The "old" stuff is apt to be a a fair distance away. Think "5 minute horse and buggy ride down wind"..
Riverbanks are always a good bet.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Some farms dont have dumps , they just burned thier trash.

Oldtimer is correct, they were normally at least some distance from the house down wind.
I normally look for old wagon road then look for a ravine or bank.Usually covered with briars or poison ivy of course.

beendiggin

Reaction score
I would also turn over the first two feet of soil at the barn location. I have had a lot of good finds in the surface dirt under barns.

Atlas

Reaction score
Imagine you lived there and had a wagon full of trash, and were looking for the easiest way to get it away from the house. Look for a down grade corner of the property, maybe just on the other side of the stone wall.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey