ON VOTING

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
I grew up along side of the tracks too Jamie , the good old Norfolk & Western Railway . Our house was about 100 feet from the main track . When the trains would go by back then , they would fly through town like the wind , our house would actually vibrate as they passed us . Here is a pic my Brother painted while sitting on the front porch oof the house , looking down the tracks . Blasted light was not very good when I took this , but it shows pretty well .

2D24C988F31645BFAC2AEBEB5ACB8457.jpg

Attachments

• 2D24C988F31645BFAC2AEBEB5ACB8457.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 73

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I live next to the tracks, too... not quite that close, but not too much farther. When I moved there, I thought the train whistles would bother me, but surprisingly, I sleep better there than many other places I have lived, where I could hear cars driving by. My road is not too busy, so I don't have the traffic problem... but there are lots of trains. We also get the "train wackers" next to the tracks - they spend hours watching the trains and take pictures... I think I should sublet my house to them and maybe I could afford a nicer place. [:D]

LC

Reaction score
Well, thats a thought kiddo ! I remember two freighter hitting head on on the main crossing which was less than a quarter mile from the house on an Easter morning . They were flat flying , the impact was so hard that when they collided with each other , that it jarred my bed hard enough to wake me up . Will never forget that , took a few weeks to get that mess cleaned up . I believe seven or eight people died in that crash . Have pictures of it somewhere .

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man

YEP VOTEN TOMORROW! GONNA BE JOY IN OLE MUDVILLE AFTER ALL! AT LEAST I CAN HOPE.THE STATE OVER ALL VOTED FOR McCAIN. BUT WELL WE WE WILL FIND OUT TOMORROW IF DEMOCRATES HAVE ONE MORE SENATOR OR NOT.MAN IF THE DEMOCRATES GET 60 IN THE SENATE ,CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT THEY CAN DO? MAN,MAKES ME SHIVER! NOT AS BIG AS THE PRES. ELECTION ,BUT PRETTY IMPORTANT! RIGHT!!

In the end it isn't going to matter because Obama will most likely sign off on anything they put forth so the 60 isn't that much of a big deal at the moment. It might have mattered more if McCain had won, but now it is a back burner topic in the media and even the talk shows, due to the circumstances. Just like freedom of speech rights don't need to protect accepted speech, a 60 percent veto override isn't needed to override non-existent vetos.

capsoda

Reaction score
I lived near the tracks when I was very young anfd I can still picture it in my mind. I can hear trains running the tracks here in Seminole on a clear night but there is not a set of tracks with in 30 mile of here. The Confederate RR used to run through here, bout a mile up the road. The old folks round here say that is what the boy, wife and I here. The engine is in the river right up the road.

Must be why it has such a shrill whistle and makes all the puffing sounds and screaming brakes. Scares the crap out the wife....[8|]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I also grew up near the trains.I lived in Ambler pa on main st.Our house was right in front of the main tracks.Passenger trains and freight trains ran day and night.We got used to the noise.
I remember getting box's of pack matches and lining each pack on the rails.When a train hit them it sounded like fire crackers going off.Then there was the coins, the quarters that got squished into the Penney's etc.It wasn't the safest place to play but thats the way it was.We also dug dumps along the rails,so when our mother asked what we were doing on the tracks!? we said digging bottles.Then she would go a little easer on us [:D]

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: L C

I grew up along side of the tracks too Jamie , the good old Norfolk & Western Railway . Our house was about 100 feet from the main track . When the trains would go by back then , they would fly through town like the wind , our house would actually vibrate as they passed us . Here is a pic my Brother painted while sitting on the front porch oof the house , looking down the tracks . Blasted light was not very good when I took this , but it shows pretty well .

NOW THAT IS A GOOD PAINTING! COOL! RICK, I USED TO WALK MILES DOWN THE TRACKS LOOKING FOR BOTTLES ON THE SIDES.THERE IS A SMALL HOUSE DUMP HERE IN TOWN BY THE TRACKS I NEVER GOT AROUND TO DIGGING AND NOW MY LEGS HAVE GOTTEN TOO BAD TO DO IT.IT DATES BOUT 1915 OR SO FROM WHAT I FOUND ON TOP. YEP,PEOPLE DUMPED TRASH BY THE TRACKS AS I HAVE FOUND A GOOD MANY BOTTLES CLOSE TO THEM.BEST I EVER FOUND WAS A MINT STRAIGHT SIDED DALLAS GA. BOTTLING WORKS. ANY WAY ,YES I LOVE TRAINS! AND A GREAT PICTURE! L.C.

glass man

Reaction score
OH YEAH,WE VOTED [MY WIFE AND I] FOR THE RUN OFF CANIDATE FOR SENATER OF GEORGIA. A VERY LONG LINE FOR A RUN OFF! THAT IS GOOD,PEOPLE GETTING INVOLVED. NOW SIT BACK AND WAIT FOR THE RESULTS. MAKES ME FEEL SO GOOD TO VOTE!

glass man

Reaction score
COOL LOBEY. LOVE THE PICTURES! THE ONES WITH THE ARROWS SHOWING MISCHIEF ARE OUT A SIGHT![8D] MAN,IF I PUT UP ARROWS FOR MISCHIEF IN THIS TOWN I WAS BORN IN AND HAVE LIVED ALL MY LIFE IN,CEPT THREE,THE ARROWS WOULD POINT ALL OVER THIS PLACE![8D] AIN'T PROUD OF THIS AND IS A WONDER I AM HERE CAUSE OF DOING IT,BUT RIGHT DOWN THE STREET WHERE I LIVE NOW,ME AND SOME FELLOW DELINQUENTS [I WAS 15] WERE SNIFFING GAS IN A CLUMP OF TREES,THAT ARE STILL THERE. I HALLUCINATED A 30 FOOT GIRL SCOUT TRYING TO SELL ME SOME COOKIES,WHEN I CAME TO ,ALL WERE LAUGING THEY BUTTS OFF AT WHATEVER GIBBERISH I WAS SAYING TO THE GIANT GIRL SCOUT.WISH I HAD ASKED WHAT I HAD SAID.MAN AT THE THINGS I HAVE LIVED THROUGH! I KNOW SOME OF YALL KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING! LOT OF TRACKS GONE FROM HERE NOW,NOWHERE AS MANY TRAINS LIKE WHEN I WAS A KID.THINK IT WAS A MISTAKE GETTING RID OF TRACKS,NEED TO GO BACK HAULING MORE STUFF BY TRAIN,STEAD OF TRUCKS.WE DO HAVE A NICE BICYCLE TRAIL WHERE SOME OF THE TRACKS WERE. STARTS SOMEWHERE IN GEORGIA AND GOES INTO ALABAMA,. JAMIE

glass man

Reaction score
WELL OLE SAX WON. SAID LOW TURNOUT.SURE DIDN'T SEEM TO BE HERE,BUT MAYBE IT WAS JUST THE TIME I WENT.THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN! RIGHT ON!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1