Opinions? (Cobalt pontiled)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LayerSlayer

Reaction score
2cp8ai0.jpg
2s96n2b.jpg
28rcl6o.jpg

t0km6q.jpg

Thanks.

glass man

Reaction score
DON'T LOOK OLD . BUT WHAT DO I KNOW! HEY I DO WISH I COULD LIVE IN YOUR BACK YARD AND SLEEP IN THE HAMUCK!{FORGIVE ME I CAN'T SPELL FOR NOTHING} MAN,THAT LOOKS PEACEFUL!!

LayerSlayer

Reaction score
If it isn't old I am going to pretend it is because it really looks great in my display case, lol.

LayerSlayer

Reaction score
I'm going to have to swallow my pride here and ask for some education.

I just don't dig this kind of stuff so I don't have a good eye for it. We dig mostly TOC stuff and the really good dumps we've gotten into we'll give us some pulls from maybe the 1880s at the earliest. I've never dug an intact pontiled bottle. Just doesn't happen. My experience is in meds, poisons, hutches, cures, blobs etc.

Anyway, if I am at a flea market or antique shop and see this bottle, it looks old to my eye. It is blown, there are bubbles in the glass, it has crudeness and it has an obvious pontil scar on the base. I'm smart enough not to drop real money on a bottle outside my hitting zone, but I picked it up for a few bucks.

I need to know what you guys see with this kind of glass that I don't see that gives it away.

Thanks

appliedlips

Reaction score
My advice would be to follow your own advice and collect what you know.If you would like to start collecting different types learn about what you are looking for before going to buy it..I always here about establishing function of an item or bottle.Alot are fantasy items that don't make alot of sense in terms of being used.Other than fancy scents,colognes,& figurals most bottles are fairly utilitarian looking.There is no substitute for experience so go to every bottle show you can and fondle as much good glass as you can.As far as the glass itself its hard to establish a set of rules as far as age,pontils,wear,lip treatments,etc. are never a guarantee..I had the same problems establishing age when I started collecting but now it is alot clearer.I would not have picked the above bottle off of the shelf because it just doesn't look "right"..There are 1000 peices of this modern art glass in antique malls for every one legitimate pontil era bottle.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Why this doesn't look old to my eyes: there is no lip finish, applied or otherwise, the shape and style of this bottle look like modern art glass. There is no embossing, no panels, nothing to indicate what this may have held, if anything. There are numerous local artisan/glass studios making stuff like this.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85