Packing procedure and materials for shipping

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MNJars

Reaction score
I've shipped many jars/bottles before and have never had an issue with broken or damaged glass. I hope it stays that way. I have a strategy for shipping - 3 lines of defense against damage. From the inside out, at least 2 layers of bubble wrap directly against the glass (sometimes I'll use more layers if the value of the item is high), then packing peanuts for at least an inch or two around all sides of the bubbled wrapped item, followed by a decently stiff cardboard box. I vigorously shake the box after I close it and if I hear or feel any movement, I add packing peanuts or re-pack all together.

I'm curious if other people follow this procedure. I've received items shipped with staggering amounts of lapses in common sense. Glass wrapped loosely with newspaper in a cardboard box does not cut it! I have TONS of bubble wrap laying around, but always seem to run out of packing peanuts. Where you ebay sellers get all of your packing materials? Is there a reliable substitute for packing peanuts? I'd like to procure a large amount of packing peanuts for minimal cost if possible.

epackage

Reaction score
I wrap each bottle with 4 or 5 levels of bubble wrap normally and then packing peanuts and scrunched up newspaper. I had one lady file a complaint with Ebay saying I didn't pack well and her bottle arrived broken, turns out the BITCH had a similar bottle that was already broken and she tried to scam me, Ebay and USPS. Luckily for me my pictures showed distinct differences in her 'broken' bottle and the one pictured in my Ebay auction, I even had to send the pics to the postmaster in her town so they could decide if they wanted to charge her with fraud. I hope she got what she deserved....

Pack well and take lots of pics I always say...[;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The PO recommends 4" of material in every direction. I sometimes cut that short by double boxing, cardboard dividers, Styrofoam liners or just get creative with whatever I can find. I mailed a soda once wrapped in bubble wrap and put inside a 2 ltr plastic soda I cut in half and taped, then I packed it in a box. That wasn't the strangest thing but I always got compliments.[:D]
You mention the levels of bubble wrap but is that the ¼" or ¾" wrap?

MNJars

Reaction score
Normally I use 3 layers of 1/4" bubble wrap but will use two, or four, or five depending upon the situation. I'll often wrap with an additional layer of larger bubble wrap if I feel it needs it.

Where do you guys get your packing peanuts?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think paying for packing materials is absurd.. there's so much perfectly good stuff to pack with just lying around the house, especially if it's been a while since I had company over.. the bubble wrap people have you all brainwashed, if it's just one bottle in the box, what the heck is it gonna bump up against anyway? I start by lining the bottom of the box, making a nest by dumping the contents of the bathroom waste basket in there.. toss the bottle in, and fill up the extra space with dirty laundry, kitchen scraps, cat hair, whatever, as long as it's nice and soft..

epackage

Reaction score
I get all my packing materials for free on Craigslist, people are always giving it away after moving, no need to spend money or feel brainwashed...[8|]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your packing peanuts?
I don't like those myself but have used them over if I get them. I might put a layer of them with another piece of cardboard on top but I find they settle and shift too much by themselves. I've received stuff where the item was at the bottom and all the "peanuts" at the top. That's not all that important for less fragile stuff though.
I also tend to get a*$& retentive with packing 'cause, well, I like to make fun. [:)][:)][:)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

I find they settle and shift too much by themselves.
That would only be because there wasn't enough of them or other material in the box, I use them religiously without incident or complaint. I had 7 bottles come from a auction house in a HUGE BOX and they were still all well away from the sides and each other because they used as many peanuts as possible...

edndlm

Reaction score
When shipping multiple bottles , I line the exterior in scrap foam to absorb potential blunt impacts & layer between bottles with cut cardboard in addition to the bubblewrap & peanuts as mentioned above . I always put a balloon ( or cutoff finger from latex glove ) secured with a rubberband over top of bottles with contents . I assume they will be dropping , kicking or throwing the box .

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.