Patio soda bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Johnnysoda

Reaction score
Hey guys I have had this patio soda bottle in my collection for some time now and noticed it doesn't have as much soda in it as when I bought it. I was wondering what you guys would recommend me doing. Buy an old patio cap that's not rusted and just reseal it on? Or leave original cap on and let soda evaporate. Thanks

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Hi, here's what I did with my beer bottle with the contents still inside. I built a stand so that the neck was slopping down so the cork was covered in the beer. I then coated the bottle cap the the underside of the crown with clear nail polish. It held pretty well for about 10 years. This is on a pre-prohibition beer bottle, so it is at least 94 years old. It has started to leak a little in the last couple of years so I coated the lid again and it stopped. The cork filled blob bottle that I did the same way has never leaked. I have had that out of the ground since 1985 or so_Others will tell you to carefully remover the cap, drain the contents and replace the cap. I happen to value the contents of the two bottles with the 100 year old beer still visible.It's your thing, do what you wanna do. Scott

Johnnysoda

Reaction score
Ah ok that makes sense, I would like to keep the soda still in the bottle because since they only made Patio in 1963 for about 8 months, that makes it rare to still have a full bottle of it. even though id say a little less than a quarter is now gone I would still like to keep the rest. I see what you are saying about the underside being coated, but it it leaking out of the middle of my cap, not the outer edge. Would it still work either way?

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Oops. If you could find a relatively undamaged cap, you might try replacing the damaged on with one in better shape.Scott

Johnnysoda

Reaction score
since it is not a twist off cap, how hard is it to replace a cap like this?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks