Pet eBay peeve

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

richf

Reaction score
Rainy and dismal day here in PA and spent some time on eBay. Found a couple bottles I would bid on, but checked the shipping prices. Unreal - one was $11 and change to ship a small, pontiled bottle. The price of the bottle was right, but ... wow. It's not hard get hooked by a decent opening bid and later find out you'll be expected to pay an outrageous shipping fee. If it can - almost - happen to me, who has over 10,000 total feedbacks, it can happen to anybody!
Rich

craigc90

Reaction score
Rich
I am no expert by no means but I have sold close to 30 bottles on ebay. The last bunch I listed I got an e-mail asking why my shipping was so high. I dont know how but all my bottles were listed as large packages automatically. I have never had that problem befor. I think e-bay changed there default settings or something. I wasn't paying attention. I clicked on the weight part for the shipping calculator and scrolled on down without paying attention to package size. They all listed at around $11.00 shipping after I revised they were all around $4.00 or $5.00. This could be happening to other listers if they are not paying attention. I am sure some people try to make money off shipping but I dont. Maybe you could send them a message and ask why the shipping is so high.

richf

Reaction score
Hi Craig!
I was thinking about sending an email, but figure what's the use? The shipping on this was $11.50 ... perhaps the seller experienced the same problem as you did. Over the years I've seen some incredibly high shipping prices, $3.85 for a postcard is an example!
Do you have any bottles up now? If so, I'd like to see your offerings.
Have a great day,
Rich

craigc90

Reaction score
Rich
I have about 20 or so on there now 5 of them are over in a few hours. I will be listing over 200 bottles in the next month or so.I started out with the meds. I will be switching to squats and blobs and some jars. Thanks for looking.

bikegoon

Reaction score
Most of my bottles will go with 4.50-6.80 priority mail shipping.
I have seen these guys ask some crazy prices for shipping...

richf

Reaction score
Craig, I bookmarked your page ... you have some nice stuff up there!
Harold, your shipping prices are very realistic, as are Craig's. There are a lot of sellers out there who make some nice profit from high shipping rates!
Rich

towhead

Reaction score
Yup, pay attention. One of the last small items, agates or bottle, I put on EBay came up as "Pick-Up only" !! Caught it in time. Yeah, I just bet that guy from Florida couldnt wait to take a trip to Minnesota to pick up a $10 bottle!! [&:]

richf

Reaction score
That seems to be happening a lot, Julie. Two weeks ago I contacted a seller who had a bottle listed as pickup only. He had no idea how it happened!
Rich

towhead

Reaction score
Yes it does Richf, I noticed it on some other people's stuff too. Seems like every time I get EBay down to a science, they change the format-again!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcarulli