ebay/paypal/fees

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

splante

Reaction score
sorry to bring this up,its been discussed before in the past I just want to recheck my math
am I looking at the following correctly

typical auction lets say a item sold for $10.00 and shipped for $10.00
ebay final value fee is 9%. = .90
ebay shipp fee is 9% =.90
paypal fee is 2.9% =.58 ***
plus paypal standard fee of .30 per transaction

=$2.68 on a $10.00 Item

***notice how paypal hits you at 2.9% on total including shipping (double dipping)

Notice how not 1 fee has been passed onto the buyer like normal auctions buyer pays a fee. If you raise your shipping and HANDLING fee to cover some cost then you get complaints that your shipping cost are two high..you cant win....Its a great way to sell so much exposure on the item you are selling buy why not have the buyer split the fees 50/50
ok thats my bitch for the day

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Your decimals are in the wrong place but the math is about right. I just gestimate at 13% total price. Add 2% for a fixed price listing. It gets worse with smaller values because the 30 cent transaction fee on paypal.
It's still less than most selley fees at an auction house though.

splante

Reaction score
hit the edit button while I could,notice it b/4 it was too late

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
you forgot the listing fees?

Just wait till they start turning over all their data to IRS and states so you can pay your taxes there too.
THey have already started doing it for the big time sellers.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

you forgot the listing fees?

Just wait till they start turning over all their data to IRS and states so you can pay your taxes there too.
THey have already started doing it for the big time sellers.
I believe it. Every state will spend a million dollars to police and collect one thousand dollars in sales taxes. Strange but true!

splante

Reaction score
I dont think I have paid a listing fee in a few years, you get so many a month free I believe.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
so get this 10 plus years on ebay sold over 3500 items and dollars to the tune of 300K less say 12% of 35K that ebay has no problem taking.. so after all this in the last evaluation period i didn't sell a lot .. a couple people said my shipping time was slow.. forgive me if i have a life and don't run to the post office the minute the auction ends.. so they hold my paypal account for ransom not letting my funds go till the item delivers or even later in some cases.. that was 15 days ago and i still have yet to be able to touch ant money and over 30 items have delivered.. who's paying the intrest on the money to the tune of 5K that they have ben holding.. and after 10 days of calling ebay support nothing has changed.. EBAY SUKS.... but where else can you sell for the kind of $$ generated there..

epackage

Reaction score
I'm not gonna complain about Ebay fees because they provide me with with a selling platform that's cheaper than renting space at local antique malls or renting a store front, and they allow me to reach people worldwide. I have sold bottles to people in Peru, New Zealand, Israel and the UK in the last year, nobody around here was gonna pay the prices I got for some of those bottles. I understand what people are saying but I can't complain about the fees when they allow us such oppurtunities and from the comfort of your home!! I hate paying taxes as much as the next guy, but why should I be able to sell for free while the guy up the street has to pay taxes on the items he sells, so I have to disagree with Matt in that sense. Either NOBODY who sells things pays taxes on what they make or we all do, why should it be free because I'm selling on Ebay?

Here are just a few tips that can save you some decent money over time from my personal experience....

I invested in a scale for $9.99, it's good to 77lbs I believe, and I always use it to pay for USPS online which always saves money so I suggest you get one(make sure to print your label WITHOUT the postage showing). I always add an ounce or two to whatever the scale says when paying for shipping online to be safe.

I strongly suggest OVERESTIMATING your shipping weight buy a pound or two when you list your item, bidders will see the shipping rate a bit higher, but when you pay for postage online make sure to put in the correct weight(+2ounces) and it will save you money in the long run.

I have added $1.50 handling to every item I sell and have not had one complaint regarding shipping costs, it's just enough to offset the Ebay fees on shipping but not so much that any buyer has complained or even asked me about the shipping costs.

I ONLY ship Priority Mail which gets you free tracking when you pay for your postage online(sometimes it's even the same $ as parcel post), make sure to mention that in your auctions, I write "Shipping is by Priority Mail only with tracking to protect the buyer and allow them to know where their item is at all times". Buyers like this and don't complain when their item arrives in only a few days and they can see where it is...

I always save packing materials from stuff I buy, I also have family members save stuff they get too, and I am always checking Craigslist for free packing materials in my area from people that have just moved and have alot of bubble wrap and peanuts. Make sure to order a bunch of boxes from the USPS site, they will be delivered for free to your home by the post office and they have a great array of sizes. I like the 'Shoe Box" size for two blobs or crown tops seltzers, 12" X 12" X 8" are very good for alot of things including multiple 'smalls', and the 7" X 7" X 6" are perfect for small or one hutch...

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=subcatMSS_PriorityMail&categoryNavIds=catGetMailingShippingSupplies%3AsubcatMSS_PriorityMail#%23q_docSort%3D%26q_pageNum%3D%26viewAll%3Dtrue%26q_facetTrail%3D%26categoryId%3DsubcatMSS_PriorityMail%26nsraction%3DcategoryProducts

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: splante

I dont think I have paid a listing fee in a few years, you get so many a month free I believe.
50 a month, and if you're a high rated seller they make alot of offers to you. I have been able to list 50,000 items free in the last three months...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski