ebay/paypal/fees

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I hate that ebay now charges closing fees on the shipping. It screws honest sellers. I see why they did it. It helps them with the problem of people charging one cent for an item and then $100 on shipping. The buyers don't mind because they're still paying the $100 (for a hundred dollar item). Now, they've stopped this seller from avoiding paying fees. BUT they are punishing and overcharging EVERY honest seller who just wants to break even on the shipping. It totally blows.

splante

Reaction score
isnt pay pal owned by ebay I thought they bought them out a few years back...epackage great advice on shipping supplies never thought of craigs list....BUT back to everyone shouldnt the buyer asorb some of the charges??????
ORIGINAL: diggerdirect

I dont consider paypal double dipping, they charge a fee on the total amount of the transaction, the money that changes hands with them as the middle man, and 2.9% is not a bad rate, comparable to any other merxchant account & actually cheaper than many in the long run.
However on a 10.00 sale that .30 cents is another 3% making it 5.9%, much less attractive.
But ebay IS double dipping, it is a crock that they now take a cut from shipping charges, thats between the seller & buyer way I figure it.

I had paypal out of the blue hold funds awhile back, wasnt a large amount either, when I finally got ahold of someone I could understand they said it was a random thing? lol, up to 21 days it said. Once package was delivered and buyer was happy,(about 6 days after auction closed) I had to call a half dozen times before they unfroze the money, not all my balance was froze, just the amount for the one transaction. Strange. I figured maybe it was something to do with the buyer.

Al

diggerdirect

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: splante

isnt pay pal owned by ebay I thought they bought them out a few years back...

Ebay bought them about 10 years ago, there 'billpoint' payment plan just didnt cut it compared to paypal, I'm no protector of the faith when it comes to paypal, the fact ebay shoved it down our throats as the only payment method (practical anyhow) allowed after taking them over was pure unadulterated BS, but as far as the fee goes, when I buy something on my Sears card from Sears (just an example) & have it shipped to my home, or use any of the third party payment providers online the total amount of transaction is subject to interest or fees.

Al

jays emporium

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Here are just a few tips that can save you some decent money over time from my personal experience....

I invested in a scale for $9.99, it's good to 77lbs I believe, and I always use it to pay for USPS online which always saves money so I suggest you get one(make sure to print your label WITHOUT the postage showing). I always add an ounce or two to whatever the scale says when paying for shipping online to be safe.

I strongly suggest OVERESTIMATING your shipping weight buy a pound or two when you list your item, bidders will see the shipping rate a bit higher, but when you pay for postage online make sure to put in the correct weight(+2ounces) and it will save you money in the long run.

I have added $1.50 handling to every item I sell and have not had one complaint regarding shipping costs, it's just enough to offset the Ebay fees on shipping but not so much that any buyer has complained or even asked me about the shipping costs.

I ONLY ship Priority Mail which gets you free tracking when you pay for your postage online(sometimes it's even the same $ as parcel post), make sure to mention that in your auctions, I write "Shipping is by Priority Mail only with tracking to protect the buyer and allow them to know where their item is at all times". Buyers like this and don't complain when their item arrives in only a few days and they can see where it is...

I always save packing materials from stuff I buy, I also have family members save stuff they get too, and I am always checking Craigslist for free packing materials in my area from people that have just moved and have alot of bubble wrap and peanuts. Make sure to order a bunch of boxes from the USPS site, they will be delivered for free to your home by the post office and they have a great array of sizes. I like the 'Shoe Box" size for two blobs or crown tops seltzers, 12" X 12" X 8" are very good for alot of things including multiple 'smalls', and the 7" X 7" X 6" are perfect for small or one hutch...

I agree with all of epack's money saving ideas and have another thing to add. I use the USPS Regional Flat Rate Priority Boxes size A and B. You can get 2 soda bottles in a size A box and 6 sodas in a size B. They cost less than the regular Flat Rate boxes and often cost less than regular Priority Mail. There are different rates for different shipping zones but for me those boxes are usually cheaper than the other shipping rates. Personally I don't charge a handling fee but I save some money by charging the rate for regular Priority Mail and shipping in the A & B boxes when it is more economical that way. I print my labels without the postage cost showing so I have not had any complaints. That little trick and the discount we get for printing our own labels usually offsets the ebay and paypal fees on shipping costs.
Also, I ship anything less than 13 ounces by First Class Mail. You still get free tracking and the cost of a 13 ounce package is $3.65 anywhere in the USA, Priority Mail would be about $5 - $6.
Jay

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jays emporium
I agree with all of epack's money saving ideas and have another thing to add. I use the USPS Regional Flat Rate Priority Boxes size A and B. You can get 2 soda bottles in a size A box and 6 sodas in a size B. They cost less than the regular Flat Rate boxes and often cost less than regular Priority Mail. There are different rates for different shipping zones but for me those boxes are usually cheaper than the other shipping rates. Personally I don't charge a handling fee but I save some money by charging the rate for regular Priority Mail and shipping in the A & B boxes when it is more economical that way. I print my labels without the postage cost showing so I have not had any complaints. That little trick and the discount we get for printing our own labels usually offsets the ebay and paypal fees on shipping costs.
Also, I ship anything less than 13 ounces by First Class Mail. You still get free tracking and the cost of a 13 ounce package is $3.65 anywhere in the USA, Priority Mail would be about $5 - $6.
Jay
[;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong because I only sell a few items and they charge me listing fees.
Maybe because I havent updated turbo lister??
I tried turbo last week and noticed when retrieving fee info it said .50 cents. Incidentally, the same as adding a subtitle. I haven't gone back to see if there is a setting I missed.

Note for anything non priority. The ebay calculator doesn't consider the online tracking charge of 19¢. If you only plan (or not) to get $1 take than that's like adding another 20% fee. I add 25¢ handling for those out of principle.
I have been able to list 50,000 items free in the last three months...
Hey Jim, 50,000 in 3 months. Your fingers must be worn to the bone.[8|]

jays emporium

Reaction score
[/quote]
Note for anything non priority. The ebay calculator doesn't consider the online tracking charge of 19¢. If you only plan (or not) to get $1 take than that's like adding another 20% fee. I add 25¢ handling for those out of principle.

For First Class packages with labels printed online tracking is free now, used to be 19 cents but changed the last time postal rates changed, I think.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
For First Class packages with labels printed online tracking is free now, used to be 19 cents but changed the last time postal rates changed, I think.
I'll have to try that on my ½ oz diner creamer and hope is sells. [:D] The book I sent media last week still charged me.

D253728DD24244C781025468DA19F5B5.jpg

Attachments

• D253728DD24244C781025468DA19F5B5.jpg
    D253728DD24244C781025468DA19F5B5.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 72

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
no because i have had 5 detailed seller ratings 2 or below for shipping time in a year.. go figure..
ORIGINAL: epackage

ORIGINAL: Oldihtractor

so get this 10 plus years on ebay sold over 3500 items and dollars to the tune of 300K less say 12% of 35K that ebay has no problem taking.. so after all this in the last evaluation period i didn't sell a lot .. a couple people said my shipping time was slow.. forgive me if i have a life and don't run to the post office the minute the auction ends.. so they hold my paypal account for ransom not letting my funds go till the item delivers or even later in some cases.. that was 15 days ago and i still have yet to be able to touch ant money and over 30 items have delivered.. who's paying the intrest on the money to the tune of 5K that they have ben holding.. and after 10 days of calling ebay support nothing has changed.. EBAY SUKS.... but where else can you sell for the kind of $$ generated there..
John do they hold the money because they are high dollar items, I don't sell the big money stuff you do so I've never had anything held by them. I know you sell some high dollar bottles and farm stuff, it sucks that they would hold any funds after all the years you've been selling...

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
Some catagories are not free and you also have to be a top rated seller.
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

I dont think I have paid a listing fee in a few years, you get so many a month free I believe.

I must be doing something wrong because I only sell a few items and they charge me listing fees.
Maybe because I havent updated turbo lister??

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski