Pikes Peak

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
In 2000 the late John M. Eatwell & David K. Clint lll published a book titled: "PIKE'S PEAK GOLD" to commemorate Zebulon Montgomery Pike. This book became available at the FOHBC EXPO Show & Sale in Denver, Colo. the summer of 2000. I purchased a copy from John himself and had it personalized. Also available for viewing was John's FABULOUS collection of For Pike's Peak flasks in every imaginable color. Over a three day period I visited that display dozens of times, seeing something new each time. I just couldn't get enough. During the show I was able to converse with John about FPPs and learned a lot. It started me on a journey of seeking every example I could get. Life got in the way so I acquired only a few, never one of any real color. The original description of the flask represented in this post states: "It has the hunter shooting the stag on reverse" which limits the possible McKearin numbers it can be. Further reduction of possibilities is possible because of various features such as size, mouth / neck finish, appearance of miner, etc. As I see it, the possibilities (without additional information) are GXI-46 or GXI-47a if it's a Quart. It could possibly be a GXI-50 or 51 if it is a PINT but it looks like a Quart to me. A GXI-52 is a Half-Pint. As stated earlier, it matters some which mold this is attributed to but the color, which is not unheard of, is the most determining factor of placing a value. My estimate is $2,500 up. (Assuming excellent condition)

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Jim and everyone, Sorry I've been away for a few days. My faux pas on which McKearin number. After finally doing some research, I believe it is a GXI-47a. It appears to be slightly less than a quart, but is definitely not a pint. Jim, thanks for the info. As I stated in my first post, I'm a fruit jar guy so I'm not that knowledgeable on flasks. I've included a couple of additional photos in natural light for those wanting to see the reverse. Sorry for the poor photos. It does need a good cleaning.

Attachments

• 63a74c665891490983087faabb8d2add.jpg
    63a74c665891490983087faabb8d2add.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 27966b66550c49d895bd596ba36f97a2.jpg
    27966b66550c49d895bd596ba36f97a2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 74

sandchip

Reaction score
Exceptional. And deserving of something more cushy than a bed of gravel.[:mad:]

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
I agree with the cow guy. Ive been learning insulator colors lately and there seems to be an infinite amount of them. Im also finding that more than often someones dark aqua is another persons green, etc. Heres a great color reference: http://glassian.org/Gallery/color.html and I believe there are many more than represented there.

botlguy

Reaction score
The subject of color, especially with insulators, offers a lifetime opportunity for discussion. With this bottle the discussion can be down to a few minutes / hours due to the fact there are so few of these in any color close to this one. Without several knowledgeable collectors seeing it in person in natural light, an exact definition is impossible. Be assured a serious flask collector would step up LARGE for this flask, regardless of what color you CALL / NAME it. Assuming it's in fine condition.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau