Piso's Cure?????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

monsterdigger

Reaction score
Here is another i found. The lip looks crude and hand applied. Its aqua and im not to shure if its a pontil mark but the bottom has a circle that pushes up. one side of the bottle has embossed: Piso's Cure, the other has embossed: Hazeltine & Co, and the front has embossed: For Consumption. If anyone has info on this one please help. Here is a picture of the bottom and ill post another of the front.

Attachments

• Sp45183.jpg
    Sp45183.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 103

capsoda

Reaction score
Those are very common and come in emerald green also. Both colors are worth about $5 but they are a great addition to a med collection.[:)]

walkingstick

Reaction score
An interesting story about Hazeltine's Piso's cure for Consumption.

After the turn of the last century, the Hazeltine folks, getting a lot of heat after the passage of the Food an Drug Act, were asked whether their "cure" contained any opium or cannabis. Their reply was that it had no opium, but they never said anything about the cannabis question.

Further analysis revealed that the Piso's Cure for Consumption contained Alcohol, Chloroform and Cannabis Indica. I guess a lot of folks may not have been cured of their consumption (TB), but they sure felt pretty good.

diginit

Reaction score
I'd like to order 3 bottles please. On second thought, make that a case.

kyhunter06

Reaction score
Ok, you said the emerald green and the aqua are common. What about the brown ones.

walkingstick

Reaction score
cobalt or olive shows up some where.

I've seen an olive, but alas, no cobalt.

HAZELTINE & CO PISO’S CURE FOR CONSUMPTION (apple green) 5 ¼†haze $21.00 //(aqua) dirty $3.25 //(aqua) light stain rim chip bottom chip $3.25 // (emerald green) 5†open bubble $6.39 // (yellow green) near perfect $9.99 // (green) 5 ¼†scratches $7.88 // (olive) hazed $14.50

I saw nothing special, other than the listed color, about the first one that went for $21.00. Color is subjective. One person's apple green could be another person's emerald green. Perhaps the new owner thought it may have had a bit of the original content, it was a dug bottle with the sick glass haze.

The only amber (brown) bottles I have seen are the later ones which dropped the "cure" embossing and were embossed "The Piso Co."

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau