Please help identify/is it valuable?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stampede55

Reaction score
I picked up this bottle today at a yard sale. Label is some what readable, says it is a Poison Antidote, the cap says MERK and there's an interesting design on the bottom. Hope these pictures are clear enough. Thanks!

Vt57097.jpg

Attachments

• Vt57097.jpg
    Vt57097.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 68

Tandy

Reaction score
G'day Mike, and welcome to the forum.

Can you tell me what the first word is? It looks like Ammonia.

Ammonia water is a solution of Ammonium Hydroxide in water.

What the label actually tells you is this: The Ammonia Water is a Poison, and underneath that is the word Antidote, for poisoning with this substance.

The word MERK is actually MERCK, which is a standard reference book on chemicals and their properties. See this URL for some details: http://www.merckbooks.com/mindex/

Good luck with your collecting.

stampede55

Reaction score
The first word is ammonia. Is there a way to determine the age of this bottle? Thanks!

Tandy

Reaction score

I thought it would be ammonia.

Now, to try to date the bottle, copy what is on the base, a photograph would be very good, and post it. Someone from the country of origin of the bottle, a member of this forum, should be able to help you.

Also, how much does/did the bottle hold? If it is in litres, ie, 2.5 or 2.25 litres, it is later than one that would say a number of fluid ounces (fl.ozs.) It is a screw top, isn't it? The cap should be a help also in age determination.

If you can determine from the label the manufacturer, there may be batch numbers or something similar that the manufacturer may be able to tell you the date it was bottled.

My rough guess it is between 1 and 25 years old.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday