PLEASE HELP! NOT A WAR TIME 7UP?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Why thank you there Mr. Lobey, can't never have to many friends.I know a ton people,and everyone around here knows my name wether good or for bad, but few friends. My favorite Uncle, Jimmy once told me if you can go through life and find 5 people who were true friends you have done good for yourself. I belive him. Kindred spirits maybe who suffer none. Also thank you for the PM the other day. Even though I think I missed something after the name change post. Looked at it a few hours and POOF it was gone. Been wondering what I missed. I know you saying "What the hell are them hicks arguing over a little paint for." Ya gotta be one of us to understand. I'll tell Paula I got a friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vY1peG8gHQ&feature=related

thesodafizz

Reaction score
Tell Paula you have two....

I know it must sound silly to the milk, ink, whiskey, frut jar and insulator people that we get all stirred up over some paint, but.......perhaps one day, they'll get it. Just as I don't get it that I get an article for B&E that describes a lid for a fruit jar and says it is 1/16th of an inch less in diameter than another one. My geez, I think what difference does it really make? So they have to understand we have our perks too....

My current "mission" is to try and find out if they did indeed "ration" red paint during war time (by using other means that bottling - because there has to be stuff out there that used more amounts of red paint to be lacking it than the teensy bit it would take to smear on a label). I mean, if none of the bottles had red paint during those years, just how much paint would they have saved. So, I am exploring avenues in regards to was there something that was needed to make the paint red that they couldn't get because of the war, like the stuff they couldn't get from Germany to make glass clear in WWI, so they used something else instead (and before-glass turns purple when "nuked" and after-glass turns amber).

And I guess Lockhart is pursuing the red vs. no red vs. red worn off leaving white part of it. If I "solve" the mystery of war time vs. whatever, then I'll see if Bill needs any help. But I want to settle this once and for all, so there's no rumors.

My opinion at this moment, from the posts and photos, is that there defnitely are bottles missing red that wore off. But the evidence so far hasn't closed the possibliltty that there's also bottles that never had red to begin with (or why). This may take longer to solve, because the years and manufacturers of the missing red (worn off variety) needs to be compared to see if there's a consistency to it in either years, bottlers or glass makers.

Then, we'll come up with a new question to throw around.....

K

bne74honda

Reaction score
OH boy....do I dare make a comment? YES! First - enuff apologies already! We all know that keyboard communication is like talking with your mouth full when you're deaf and blind. Second - this entire post has been 100% worth every comment added. I've been collecting 7up bottles for a few small years and have seen many examples of everything mentioned here. The squat ambers did have red as well as white. I watched one on eBay that had been only a display bottle in a plant go for over $500 - the white and red ACL was beautiful. I've seen folks on eBay take the same bottle and apply the Lithiated Soda paper label themselves and ask over $100. And I've seen them with only white but still mint.

I've dug some green bottles with only white but the white is mint. Personally, I've always collected that which appeals to me. In terms of the 8 bubble ACL, all I've ever heard indicates the change from 8 to 7 was made within the first 2-3 years of production. But I wasn't there so who really knows. I'll try post some pics of my stuff soon just so folks can google, gaggle, spiggle and spaggle.

Let's just all remember that we started this hobbie for fun. For many (okay..most) it's become an obsession but don't you still get that same daydreamy feeling when you hold something 40, 50, 60 or even 100 years old? Let your inner child play and have fun!

Just my 2 cents.

Brian

bamascavenger

Reaction score
Not trying to open up that nasty can of worms again i am just sharing some info i came across. It is possible that most red pigmentation can fade or lose it all together if buried and or left in the sun for a very long time. However, Toulouse (sic)? Had an article on this and another personal communication as follows may indeed prove or at least explain that some bottles...On the west coast did leave out the Red Pigmantation due to the WAR! Here is a partial copy of the letter;
In a personal communication, Mike​
Elling noted that ca. 1944-1945 Owens-​
Illinois seems to have run short of red​
pigment. Mike has a Royal Crown​
pyramid bottle that is missing the red that​
was typically used on the label. Billy​
Grice offered a yellow-only Squirt bottle​
on eBay with a 1945 Owens-Illinois mark​
and date code embossed on the base. He​
stated that “During the war many west​
coast bottlers went to single colors.†It is​
possible that red dye was in short supply​
during the end of World War II. Owens-​
Illinois may have only experienced the​
shortage for the final year or so of the war.

This is not proof, but it does help, just look carefully for the red border that should be there if it had red paint on it. Looking at it from an angle you will see where the red use to be. If there is no "base" shadow, you might have a real "white" 7up! Thank you all for your contributions.

JayBeck

Reaction score
I dug up this old thread because I found one of the 7 Up bottles with just the white paint and was hoping to find more information but there seems to be quite some debate on this matter. It is a Glenshaw bottle with a V near the crown which dates to the 1950's. I wanted to find out more about this and found it odd that mine is later than WW II and is near mint with no signs of any red paint ever being there. Marked West Barrington, Rhode Island. I will post a pic later in a new thread with the other finds of the weekend.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Oh boy this one again. LOL! You are correct there is much debate over this one. I picked up a late 1930's 7-up from Charlotte with the same problem. The white is perfect; however, the red is gone except for the ghostly image of it which I have seen on nearly every one of these so called war time bottles.

Bottle Junkie 56

Reaction score
Pat. Now You have at least 2 friends. As for the 7-up debate, everybody has an opinion and mine is until I see proof I don't buy the "white paint only" story. Morbs, I saw the Princeton Motors bottle at Hillsville Sat. before You acquired it. Great bottle!! Out of my territory and $$$ range. Guy had some great stuff but sure was in love($$$) with them. I have Upper 10 bottles similar to your Rums Dry in that the paint is fainter and thinner. How about a blue/yellow Rums Dry, they are tough to find. Need to buy me a )*^#>{! camera. Thanks. RK

JayBeck

Reaction score
Hey Morb, I know this thread mainly pertains to the war time era 7 ups with just the white label but mine is from the mid 1950s. Do you know of any others seen from this era? I examined it very closely before I bought it and see no signs of the red ever being there, it looks like the red ran out or something and never got applied. The white paint is shiny and near mint and so is the bottle. Even with the debate do these bottles bring a premium? Any additional info is greatly appreciated.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JayBeck

Hey Morb, I know this thread mainly pertains to the war time era 7 ups with just the white label but mine is from the mid 1950s. Do you know of any others seen from this era? I examined it very closely before I bought it and see no signs of the red ever being there, it looks like the red ran out or something and never got applied. The white paint is shiny and near mint and so is the bottle. Even with the debate do these bottles bring a premium? Any additional info is greatly appreciated.

There is usually a ghosting which can been seen if you hold it on an angle with light shinning on it. I have seen 1950's 7-ups in various stages of the red acl damaged and the white is in good shape. I think that the red/orange acl was weaker than the white acl.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Bottle Junkie 56

Pat. Now You have at least 2 friends. As for the 7-up debate, everybody has an opinion and mine is until I see proof I don't buy the "white paint only" story. Morbs, I saw the Princeton Motors bottle at Hillsville Sat. before You acquired it. Great bottle!! Out of my territory and $$$ range. Guy had some great stuff but sure was in love($$$) with them. I have Upper 10 bottles similar to your Rums Dry in that the paint is fainter and thinner. How about a blue/yellow Rums Dry, they are tough to find. Need to buy me a )*^#>{! camera. Thanks. RK

Yeah he certainly has an inflated value system, but sometimes it's justified, I've been dealing with him for a while, and have better luck trading with him. Haven't seen a blue and yellow rums dry.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazewudb3nice!