Please kungfufighter or earlyglass or anyone knowledgeable in these early flasks?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
The shape on the second one posted looks similar to a nailsea flask. Were they possibly copied (in shape) for a similar use as a nailsea flask? Just wondering what they were used for, if anyone knows.

tigue710

Reaction score
I was thinking that too, no idea what the flasks were made for outside of speculation but the shape is sort of a throw back to earlier flask designs, possibly that's all there is to it?

kungfufighter

Reaction score
That's true Paul but these flasks are blown in a two-piece mold, ostensibly for some specific type of purpose, as they are much less common than traditionally shaped molded flasks of the period.

With that said (in some ways contradicting my previous statement), I think that folks too often assume that a particular bottle had a specific purpose - many 19th century bottles we produced for a multiplicity of uses...

CazDigger

Reaction score
I think that flask form (semi-teardrop) with the narrow bottom lends itself well to being slid into a pocket or pouch. They always say form follows function.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter