Pontiled Philadelphia Druggist: I L Ritter

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I recently picked up this pontiled druggist bottle from Philadelphia which I know nothing about, and I was wondering if anyone had any information about it. Any idea on the rarity and maybe what a value might be? It's aqua in color, has an open pontil and a rolled lip, and it's about 4 3/4 inches tall. On the front panel it's embossed "I. L. Ritter, / Phila". The two side panels say "Wholesale" and "Druggist". It's very crudely made, with whittled glass, an uneven base, and even some "ghost" embossing on the front and back panels, which I tried to take a picture of (last picture). Thanks for any info!
IMG_2734.jpgIMG_2736.jpgIMG_2737.jpgIMG_2739.jpgIMG_2741.jpgIMG_2743.jpgIMG_2745.jpg

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Nice! Sorry not my neck of the woods. Maybe someone from that area will chime in

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Matt's medicine bottle list includes one similar bottle with picture for IL and BI Ritter and a listing for the above bottle without a picture. No details about the company... Here's a link that hopefully works. http://www.antiquemedicines.com/MedicineNexus/R/R.htm

I wish Matt was still active on here... he might be able to tell us a bit more.

It can't be really common, with Matt not having a pic of it.

Jim G

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I have one more question about this bottle that I never asked when I originally posted this thread. On the base, there appears to be an extra piece of glass that is attached to the bottom. It can be seen in picture 6. It doesn't appear to be part of the bottle; I think it was an error that occurred when the bottle was made. It creates an indention on the bottom of the front panel, which can be seen in picture 5 above. Has anyone seen this error before? Do you think it was just caused by somebody accidentally touching the bottle to a stray piece of glass while one or the other was still hot, which caused them to fuse together?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn