Possilbe prototype Mountain Dew bottle or hoax?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
~ P.S. ~

I think the actual term I am looking for regarding the hillbilly image is ...

"TRADEMARK"

As opposed to Patent and/or Copyright.

But so far I can find none of the above.

SPBOB

Dragon0421

Reaction score
I would have to agree with digdug on this one with all the variations of third shift bottles and have seen how it goes on in glass factories i believe they had some creative people having alittle fun just my ideas on it.

fishnuts

Reaction score
I'm putting in with morb here, too. This is just too elaborate to be a prank. And it took 7+ years to finally sell the 'first' publicly known to us all. The(se) alleged perpetrator(s) sold this bottle to a still unknown seller that James acted for.. And For ??? Not too much, I bet. Too many holes in the 'story'. Too impractical. Too many stretchesof imagination.
It doesn't seem that any of the people connected with this bottle, including the two that I personally know, know much about the bottle.
If it's unique it came from management, for whatever hare-brained reason, because they are the only ones that could command ALL the various resources required to build a single bottle.

Segue shifting gears...
I have seen some great Third Shift beer cans. Back in the late 70's to early 80's there were some fellers at the Texas Schlitz brewery that were making aluminum Schlitz cans in decorator colors: olive drab, cobalt blue, maroon, burnt orange, I recall. Each had the brown Schlitz markings but colored instead of silver backgrounds. Air filled and 'smuggled' out of the plant in lunch boxes and they sold for $35 and up as novelites at can shows. Folks knew they weren't real but had to have them anyway.

coboltmoon

Reaction score
quote:

ORIGINAL: splante

Kind of interesting that no feedback has been left for the MD bottle. Its been a couple of weeks wondering if they are canceling the deal or if any issues arrised

About half of ebay customers don’t leave feedback

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I may already have posted something similar to this previously, but when I went back and looked for it I couldn't find anything. So it may have been another Mountain dew thread I was thinking of, there are so many. [:D] In any event, I thought it would be worth taking another look at. I got it from an internet web site (copy/pasted).

I thought the part about "Teem" being the top-dog at the time when PepsCo took over Mountain Dew was especially interesting. This doesn't prove anything one way or the other about the actual bottle in question, but I still found it kind of interesting, and it may be worthy of more investigation. Has anyone researched the whole "Teem" part of this yet? (Introduction dates, etc; etc.) I know I haven't.

SPBOB

Copy/Pasted Exactly As I Found It ...

Unfortunately for the Tip Corporation, at the same time they were launching Mountain Dew, the Pepsi-Cola Company was introducing its own lemon-lime drink, Teem. Most of Tip's customers were Pepsi bottlers who were reluctant to compete with the parent company, so they ended up selling Teem, rather than Mountain Dew.

The success of another soft drink Sun Drop, and competition from Teem, consequently caused Jones to take Mountain Dew in a different direction, away from the lemon-lime flavor to an orangey taste.

Using Wythe Hull's Pepsi-Cola bottling facility as a base of operations, Jones began testing different formulas. Employees at the Marion Pepsi plant were the first to sample each new version of the drink. Finally, one mixture seemed to have the right taste.

This new Mountain Dew was test-marketed by the Minges with overwhelming success. Tip began to solicit Mountain Dew franchises, the company's shareholders agreed that Pepsi-Cola bottlers should be given the first opportunity at a charter. That's why most of the first Mountain Dew bottlers were also Pepsi-Cola bottlers.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

In case I failed to make my point in my last reply, I would like to clarify by saying ...

It appears there may have been some coin-tossing going on back then as to which brand to push (Mountain Dew or Teem) and maybe, just maybe someone said ... "Hey, I wonder what a Teem bottle would look like with a Mountain Dew label on it?"

SPBOB

splante

Reaction score
About half of ebay customers don’t leave feedback
[/quote]

dont have atonof ebay experience about 300 transactions. guess I have been lucky I get about 95% feedback...just thought that a $1500 transaction would get feedback 99% of the time. anyway what happened to the link http://oldantiquebottle.com/ says it has expiered..hey I like your like your store coboltmoon...may bid on a few things.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here I go again ... Call it a probing mind groping for answers, or lunacy if you wish. But something keeps nagging at me about the shape of the label. And I'm not referring to the hillbilly image or the lettering this time. But rather to the shape of the white background part that I call a flat-top pyramid. I knew I had seen that shape before, and found it on another bottle. But on a much later bottle that I am not sure what year it was introduced. My best guess would be the early 1970s.

Compare the two bottles that follow and you will see what I mean. Forget the lettering difference that is obvious. Just notice the shape of the white part. I haven't taken an exact measurement of the two labels yet, but they appear to be about the same size. I wonder if this is a coincidence or intentional? There are not too many Mountainn Dew items from that era that have that particular pyramid shape.

I know how crazy this all sounds, but I'm just trying to figure out why that bottle has a "newer" look to it? It just doesn't have the same character that an oldie but goody does. Is it possible there is more to this mystery bottle than we think? Could be. Maybe in time we will find out for sure.

Anyhoo ... Just more food for thought. And if anyone knows when they introduced the later bottle, please let me know. The book I have doesn't say. And please note that I still think it was made in the factory, only that it was an experiment of some kind that went sour and was rejected. It must have been rejected if there is only one of them that we know of. [:)]

Thanks a lot.

SPBOB

E-Bay Bottle w/ white pyramid background.

4FB89619D84741F5BC8BFFEE6E6ED652.jpg

Attachments

• 4FB89619D84741F5BC8BFFEE6E6ED652.jpg
    4FB89619D84741F5BC8BFFEE6E6ED652.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 34

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Later bottle w/ white pyramid background. (And please note that I understand the multi-step acl process and how spaces are left out in the screening for the lettering. It's just that dang white pyrmaid that's bugging me).

0F2C8B52C7B6467DB7986B46348670DF.jpg

Attachments

• 0F2C8B52C7B6467DB7986B46348670DF.jpg
    0F2C8B52C7B6467DB7986B46348670DF.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 33

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Bob.....your "Flat Top Pryamid" is actually an isosceles trapezoid. It follows the CONTOUR of the bottle. I'm pretty sure it is done for one of two reasons one being EASE OF MANUFACTURING. The other AESTHETICS.

They have been using the "flat top pryamid" from the begining of the acl process.

Here are a few from the 70s to show how aesthetically pleasing the trapezoid is.

4323A47820764D918E581CFE94A5D719.jpg

Attachments

• 4323A47820764D918E581CFE94A5D719.jpg
    4323A47820764D918E581CFE94A5D719.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday