Possilbe prototype Mountain Dew bottle or hoax?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
If you were to use a square or a rectangular the lable would appear to be turning downward.

Here's an example w/ a paper lable.

9DA8DDAED1D24C3AAD4220F6266D0713.jpg

Attachments

• 9DA8DDAED1D24C3AAD4220F6266D0713.jpg
    9DA8DDAED1D24C3AAD4220F6266D0713.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 46

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Osia ~

Thanks. I agree that isosceles trapezoids and trapeziums (3-sides-equal) are shapes that have been around and used on acl soda bottles for some time now. I think where I am going with this can best be illustrated by the picture below that shows what is described as "The Second Generation" Dew bottles that were first introduced around 1969. (Four years after our mystery bottle). I realize now they didn't start using the solid white background until a little later, the dates of which I'm still not sure of.

Based on everything I know about the history of Mountain Dew and the transition that began when PepsiCo took over in 1964/65, it seems apparent they were determined to evolve the brand from a hillbilly drink to a "new generation" drink. This marketing strategy continues today which focuses on the younger, more active outdoor type.

Which makes me suspect our mystery bottle may have been one of the first experiments along these lines to transform it into the new image they were looking for. A transition they were finally successful with as shown in the 1969 bottle below. Of course they don't have the white background, but they do have the block-type lettering in a rectangular form.

So maybe the mystery bottle (that I still believe was authorized and factory made) was nothing more than a early experiment that was initially rejected and then was eventually perfected into the design we call today as "The Second Generation" acl bottles.

Whatever the truth may be, I continue to wonder if it is actually worth $1500.00? I was prepared to throw down about $1000.00 on it, but if it were to show up for auction again I'm sure I would think twice now about paying even $500.00 for it. I think more needs to be determined about it first before getting caught up in a frenzy like that again.

And if it were proven to be a one-of-a-few transition bottles made at a PepsiCo factory, who that make it worth $1500.00 ... or possibly more?

SPBOB

EC9B325FDA5E4F27994137A996EE6E01.jpg

Attachments

• EC9B325FDA5E4F27994137A996EE6E01.jpg
    EC9B325FDA5E4F27994137A996EE6E01.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 48

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Slight correction ... Instead of "who that" in the last sentence, I meant "would that." (I guess it's just the hillbilly in me that explains these types of errors). [:D]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is for the e-bay buyer in case he/she should ever come across this forum and read this.

Dear Buyer ~

Please tell us what you know about the bottle now and/or find out about it in the future. Any confirmation of it's authenticity can only increase it's value. Who knows, in time it may become the "Holy Grail" of acl soda bottles and be worth as much as ... $????.??

towhead

Reaction score
I can't get to EBy from here....but, if you click on the buyers number, to get to feedback area, you can check "Feedback Left For Others"....has buyer left Feedback for other purchases? Does he leave feedback right away?? -Julie

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Julie ~

I am not sure yet how the following will post. If I comes out like scramble eggs I will attempt to cancel it if possible. If not, then just try to make the best of it. I feel a little weird posting it, but since it is public knowledge I suppose there is no harm done.

It is the recent bidding history of the individual who bought the bottle and is known as ... j***j

SPBOB

P.S. ~ It didn't come out quite like I copy/pasted it, but I suppose it's better than nothing

[/align]Bidding Details[/align]

s.gif

s.gif
Bidder Information

Bidder:
s.gif
j***j
s.gif
( 336
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
s.gif

s.gif
100%
s.gif
Positive

Item description:
s.gif
Item Title: [/b]Extremely Rare 10 oz Mountain Dew bottle/ 1965/ NICE!

Bids on this item:
s.gif
s.gif

30-Day Summary

Total bids:
s.gif

Items bid on:
s.gif

Bid activity (%) with this seller:
s.gif
6%
s.gif
btnHelp.gif

Bid retractions:
s.gif

Bid retractions (6 months):
s.gif

s.gif

[/align][/align][/align][/align]

[/align][/align][/align]30-Day Bid History[/align][/align]

s.gif
Category
s.gif
No. of Bids
s.gif
Seller
s.gif
btnHelp.gif

s.gif
Last Bid
s.gif
btnHelp.gif

s.gif
s.gif
Collectibles > Soda
s.gif
s.gif
Seller 1
s.gif
4d 16h

s.gif
Collectibles > Soda
s.gif
s.gif
Seller 1
s.gif
6d 16h

s.gif
Coins & Paper Money > Silver
s.gif
s.gif
Seller 2
s.gif
1d 23h

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Seller 2
s.gif
2d

s.gif
Coins & Paper Money > Dollars
s.gif
s.gif
Seller 2
s.gif
2d 6h

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Seller 2
s.gif
2d 23h

s.gif
Collectibles > Bottles
s.gif
s.gif
Seller 3
s.gif
18h

s.gif
Collectibles > Soda
s.gif
s.gif
Seller 4
s.gif
1d 14h[/align][/align][/align][/align]

epackage

Reaction score
The bidder does leave feedback and the bidders user ID is lj204, after winning the Dew sign I showed it took the winner 2 weeks to post feedback.......

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
epackage ~

The auction closed on January 8th. Which was two weeks ago last Saturday. So maybe something will show up soon. But if he is anything like me, my standard feedback looks like the following, which doesn't really say much about the particular item that I purchased. I usually write ...

GRRRRREAT! A FIVE "R" TRANSACTION! THANKS! I'LL B-BACK!

SPBOB

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

epackage ~

The auction closed on January 8th. Which was two weeks ago last Saturday. So maybe something will show up soon. But if he is anything like me, my standard feedback looks like the following, which doesn't really say much about the particular item that I purchased. I usually write ...

GRRRRREAT!  A FIVE "R" TRANSACTION! THANKS! I'LL B-BACK! 

SPBOB
After spending $1500 any positive feedback is good for the seller I would think SPB, I'm guessing lj204 isn't a member here or if he/she is they don't want to say they bought the bottle just yet...jim

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
epackage ~

I agree. And you gotta wonder if the buyer actually knows what they bought or if they just had money to burn and went with a gamble on a roll of the dice? But what could he/she possibly know about the bottle that 100+ members here (many of which who are advanced collectors/researchers) don't know?

I guess that's the $64,000.00 question. [:D]

SPBOB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday