POVERTY GULCH DAIRY - GREENSBURG, PA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barfort

Reaction score
Looking for information on "POVERTY GULCH DAIRY, GREENSBURG, PA". My wifes brother gave us a 1 pint bottle from this dairy the other day and my father who has been collecting bottles for about 50 years now has never seen or heard of this name before. My wifes brother found it when he was growing up in Red Onion, PA and has kept it for all these years. He and some bottle collecting friends wrote a book entitled "PENNSYLVANIA DAIRY HANDBOOK" which gives a listing of all the dairy farms in PA that had their own bottles. The book is already 350 plus long and he would like some info on this dairy so he can add it in to the book, which is constantly being updated with info from other collectors. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
There are more than 3,900 farms in Westmoreland
County, ranking it fourth in the
state in the number of farms. FROM Page 7 How many were dairies? How many had bottles made? It could at least mean the list will keep growing, that was just 1958 after all.Sure, no help but I thought it was interesting.

barfort

Reaction score
My dad is Robert Lloyd (Milkman), and started collecting around 1967-68. About 10 years ago he and some collecting friends from across the State started putting all there information together and then my Dad had it printed. The first book was just Westmoreland and Allegheny counties, and then expanded to the entire state of PA. His last book was a 6"X9" and he sold them pretty quick but then ran into problems with the cost of printing and that ended that until my wife and I talked him into printing it again and we would take care of the costs. The 2014 book is much larger, 8 1/2 X 11 and is about 370 pages so far. With updates from other collectors coming in constantly it continues to grow. You can purchase it from us at: Brian & Judi Lloyd, 202 Church St., New Alexandria, PA 15670. The cost is $40.00 with shipping included. I think he has it listed in "The Milk Route" magazine also. Thank you!

barfort

Reaction score
My wife and I never got into collecting bottles except for local New Alexandria ones. 3900 dairy farms in Westmoreland alone is kind of overwhelming, never thought there were that many. After seeing my Father's book it's unbelievable how many there were across the state of PA, and more just keep coming in all the time.

barfort

Reaction score
If anyone else is interested in the Poverty Gulch Dairy, my wife and I finally found some information about it. It was owned by Adam Eidemiller, at least in the late 1920's and early 1930's. It was dissolved in 1934. We have it narrowed down to the 1st large farm on the left on Rt 119 after you go thru the Roseytown redlight heading North. Going to visit the farm for more info shortly.

barfort

Reaction score
Didn't get it from the company, although that's not a bad idea to check with them. This was just from someone from Irwin who stopped by to get one of the books. He gave us some info on other things but they didn't pan out so we are not sure if this info will either. Between the frigid weather and my cancer treatments we haven't made it out to check on it. Lot of Eidemillers in that area that we may start contacting also.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem