Pray For Jake

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words and prayers. This has been the week from hell for sure. But, the prayers seem to be getting through. He is making some progress and we didn't have to take him in today. He has been drinking some for the last day or so and also has started to eat for the first time since Saturday. He is still not touching his normal can food. The vet told us to use some chicken and turkey based baby food, non chunky. If he has problems with that, use a syringe to feed him. Well I picked all that up this morning along with some clam juice and my wife tried that after I left for work. No go. We tried to think of other things he would like and we had a light go on. We have a chicken she just roasted in the fridge, he likes that, sharp cheddar cheese which he also loves, and some deli cut ham slices (he has an apatite but for some reason he wont eat much of anything). Well anyway, he has eating most everything she put the plate over the last several hours, including (at least an attempt at) his crunchy food. It's a long way to a healthy amount, but it's more than he has had all week.

He's not out of the woods yet, so keep up the prayers. Will give you another update in a few days.

Stephen & Debbie

BillinMo

Reaction score
Glad to hear there's some improvement. We'll still remember Jake in our prayers.

Stardust

Reaction score
Your sweet. beautiful, kitty is in my prayers tonight, as I send healing energy his way ~~~ Our furry friends play such an important part in our lives if we let them into our hearts<3 ~ Keep us posted ~ *

Poison_Us

Reaction score
RE: Pray For Jake (Update)

Well, here it is, Sunday morning. Jake is doing a little better. He has eaten a few cans of cat food in the last couple of days, which is wonderful. He is walking a bit better, yet he still stumbles here and there and still has a hard time judging the distance to his water and food. He seems more alert when he is awake, but he is still sleeping very sound and is a bit hard to wake. But eating and drinking on a more regular basis is the important part.

We think we have found the root cause of his condition...and it wasn't the vet. A cat needs to be cut off from water and food 12 hours before their shots. At 10:30 the Friday before, we did so. Of course, he got hungry in the night or early morning before corralled him into his carrier. My wife has 3 lucky bamboo plants on the sofa table. Jake has stiffed them, but generally never paid them much mind. Well, hunger overtook him at one point and he chewed on several leaves of one of the plants. The condition from the ingestion did not surface until after his appointment. And of course, being a week after the fact, nothing we could do except wait for the poison to pass from his body and hope he doesn't suffer from any long term damage.

I held him yesterday and walked him around downstairs for a bit and he was alert and looking about like it was his first time (and it was, in a week). So the life is returning to him, just need the weakness and equilibrium to return and it will be our same kitty again. We are trying to fee him as much as we can so he can re-build his strength and is able to navigate the stairs again and maybe even come to bed with us at night. The last 3 nights, my wife has slept with him on the floor. I found her there this morning (we added another comforter on the floor to make it a bit more cushy). It's hard on her body and she could barely move when I came in to get her up, but she feels it's worth it for the sake of Jake.

I hope our next update will be of a happy, healthy cat and a full recovery.

Stephen & Debbie

canada

Reaction score
Best Wishes for Jake. Years ago, one of our cats was unwell; took him to the vet,who, knowing we we would spare no expense to save Smokey, ran us up a $1100 bill, then told us they had little hope for him.
We brought him home, syringe-fed him for 3 days, & he is alive, healthy, & active today.
That blood-sucking vet has lost us as clients, & we have spread the word around.

Get well soon Jake.

Dave

Stardust

Reaction score

I hope Jake is doing better. I spend a lot of time researching and found this: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-cat/3ym2p-cat-ingested-lucky-bamboo-poisonous-him.html

My 1st dog couldn't handle shots all in one does and had to have them split after several years when she acted like she was dying after a routine checkup with shots.
Do some research online about what to do if your pet reacts to shots and what to do next time you see the vet. I'll say another special prayer for Jake right now, as I'm curled up with my furry friend and know how much they mean to us ~
Get Well Jake ~
star *

glass man

Reaction score

So glad the beautiful cat is getting better!Still praying...I know how attached a person can get to an a pet.

Our last Yellow lab "Cody The Mighty Dog " was 11 when Nina was taking him out for a short walk ..a pit bull came around the house and hit Nina waist high knocking her down...probably would have killed her or done lots of damage ..but Cody went after him and kept him off Nina till a neighbor and I could run the Pit off..my neighbor hit the dog in the head with a wood golf club..he left...I thought Cody would be ok....he acted fine ..but a couple of nights later real late he could only crawl..we had little money ,but was gonna get him to the vet the next morning..I have thought he may have internal injuries that didn't show..CODY was in his room on his blanket when he gave a short bark ..like he was saying good bye..he was dead..Nina and I cried..1st time ever for me to cry after a pet..but Cody was so special.

I hope Jake gets back to it's ole self soon!JAMIE

coldwater diver

Reaction score

I just came across your post, You have one handsome cat, I will definitely keep in in my thoughts and prayers. Kevin

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis