Privy Dig Under Standing Outhouse

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David Fertig

Reaction score
Some of my better bottles have come from pits like this. I've seen poured concrete and several courses of cinderblock. Plus brick. And relaid stone.

Dig 'em all.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DIGS CHESCO

I was always reluctant to dig under standing outhouses. Most of the outhouses in my area are either decorations or are used as sheds or outbuildings with concrete floors. So when one of my wife's friends (yeah, my wife got me a permission, I couldn't believe it!) invited me over to dig under their outhouse I didn't expect much.

But a permission to dig is a permsission and it must be followed through on.

59E9FF299EB146879F2A3988BE2209C4.jpg
Is that the ladies room out back....I hear the good bitters and liquor bottles are found in those[8D] Congratulations Tom I pass at least 5 of those every time I travel down to Alloway on Glassboro Rd. With it all dug out and all you could run some modern plumbing and tie it in to their existing sewer pipe slap a new toilet in and have a second bathroom making the property much more desirable...........Of course their taxes would go up and it can get kinda chilly at night....

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DIGS CHESCO

Steve,

I didn't even look in that other outbuilding!
Go get permission for that one too Tom!! Maybe both families if it is in the neighbors yard were wealthy trash throwin away heathens[8D] Why I bet you there is a Seaworths Cape May bitters bottle in that one!!

43B9E9498E254CC0BFD890B71775D7FD.jpg

Attachments

• 43B9E9498E254CC0BFD890B71775D7FD.jpg
    43B9E9498E254CC0BFD890B71775D7FD.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 83

DIGS CHESCO

Reaction score
I'll settle for a E. G. BOOZ, very nice Cape May Bitters though; I wouldn't expect to find one this far inland, but you never know.

Tom

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
You know those Pennsylvania People they own more shore property then us Jerseyans so I am leaning towards the Seaworths bitters Tom. The guy who lived where you dug probably had a house down the shore just like you B__stards do today tying up our roads on Friday Evenings and Sunday late afternoons!![:mad:] when you stay at the shore for the weekend and return home!!

He bought the bitters in Cape May at the old light house museum when it was a general store selling those bitters. He intended to bring two of them back with him but drank one on the ride home in his buggy and threw the empty one out on route 49 next to a small Oak tree which is now a large Oak tree,he then passed out and before he knew it he was loaded onto the ferry and sent back to South East Pa where his horses knew the routine. If they were throwin out their trash you can bet they owned a shore house too[8D]

DIGS CHESCO

Reaction score
Guilty as charged, my father inlaw lives in Avalon NJ, we visit him alot in the summer. That Cape May Bitters is a great bottle, and I supose they might be found any where along the Reading RR Sea Shore Line. Are there all amber or are ther other colors?

Tom

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Guilty as charged I knew it!! As for color predominately dark Amber but it has been seen recently in light amber,yellow amber,pale emerald green,aqua,yellow green and talk of a one of a kind type of a pale blue version. Peachridge glass has some on its web site.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter