Privy digger question, southern diggers especially

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Relicsnstuff

Reaction score
After looking at the map my best guess would be between the last five foot of the footprint of the house back to the last backhouse, iam talking about where the house was before it was moved, if no results there i would work the back line about 6-12 foot from the line, question, is the map of before they move the house because you said there is a road there now?

Anthonicia

Reaction score
That chimney is actually part of a BBQ kitchen built in the 50's I believe. There was also a garage built somewhere in the vicinity during that time too. Have dug up huge pieces of brick/mortar/gunk all over the yard hoping it was covering an old pit. So far that hasn't been the case.

USPS has misplaced the probe I ordered. They already tried to deliver it to the wrong house. If I don't get it tomorrow at the post office I'm pretty much out $60. No insurance or refunds.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Went out and probed today for 3 hours. Aghhh! Found parts of what I think is of the old outbuildings. There's a layer of bricks about a foot down and probably 6x10. Dug some of them up, so its not part of the foundation. Looks like fill. Found a few shards, but very few and far between. I'm not sure what to do now. Probed every bit of the property I can think of. All I have found are bricks and a couple acls. Thinking maybe someone dug this site years and years ago. Can't find anything with any age.

Going to take the sanborn map tomorrow because I keep forgetting to take it. Going to tape measure and mark exactly where the house used to be, the outbuildings and everything. Maybe it will lead me to what I'm missing.

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
Sometimes there are no bottles! I live in VA and most privies outside towns will be less than 4' with just a few bottles inside (5 bottles). Towns had a few that are deeper, but looking at your pic, these are not rowhouses or 1/4 acre sites. Probably there are some privies, but they will be hard to locate. I have seen a few that touched the house, so look for the original foundations, and probe around the perimeter. Good luck. P.S , a ground penetrating radar could help locate them, but the price is not worth the investment for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal