Privy experts, attention!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Connor,

They did indeed locate privies along side lines. Even in front yards...

Your aerial views show a path out to a round gazebo or swimming pool. I'd be looking and probing from the gazebo back to the house along both side lines and the path line. Then I'd want a root beer...

HiresRootBeerDispenser.jpg

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Probe "everyplace" possible,If a probe feels good (ashy crunchy) do a test hole. keep doing test holes,I never went by those maps,never had to. probe and probe until you can't probe no more. If you cant find it after a period of time ,it is probable under a structure.

I just got permission yesterday for a weird house that has a back yard that goes
up hill on a wicked angle. It is 1850 so I will probe until my arms fall off.[;)]

As for the well, I will never do a well again in my life.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Side lines it is... Hopefully my first post on Sunday will be a picture of my mint 1820's Keene Masonic flask in puce with cobalt streaks! [8D]

lexdigger

Reaction score
We dug a total of 8 privies behind an 1820 house here in Lexington. The pits were along both sides, along the back and two were out in the middle of the yard (the two earliest). There is no logic to why and where they put them. I've dug them right around six or eight steps out the back door. You never know what the situation was at the time it was being used. I don't ponder too much on the why's and just dig em!!! LOL

Sad part about old pits is that it's almost all always busted up bad. Keep the shards!!!

tigue710

Reaction score
Side lines of the yard often had privies... every area is different though... They often clustered them together also, so if there's one in one yard often one is close by. Circled in Red marked #2 in the other yard is likely a privy box, the one circled in red marked #1 looks to be a shared privy, or larger double seater... could just be a wood shed too... Its a very good place to start. The buildings you marked are to large for just a privy. They are out buildings of some type. Sometimes people had a wash room outside the house with a tub and privy in the corner, so it doesnt rule out a privy, just not very likely...

Good luck, it looks like a great block!

66C6C5FAFC4645DAB5596EB686E5E8AC.jpg

Attachments

• 66C6C5FAFC4645DAB5596EB686E5E8AC.jpg
    66C6C5FAFC4645DAB5596EB686E5E8AC.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 64

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Some----- people are just lost and drowning in a sea of delusion. Better known as the INTERNET.

Don't mind me just thinking out loud [8D]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
You don't mean... me? [&:]

I'll probe till my probe breaks in half... Seems like I was in the wrong area before though. I wish I could go on more than an educated guess, but I guess that's all I've got. Such is privy digging... [8D]

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Somewhat deep lot Con, I don't like having to walk all the way down the hallway to use the bathroom, people didn't like walking to the way back of their property. I've seen them along the side of the property around here so its not uncommon for our area.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter