Privy experts, attention!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[;)] I agree, I would brobe the heck out of the middle third of that lot on both sides along the property lines, and then move into other areas.....

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

As for the well, I will never do a well again in my life.

Why is that, Rick? You've sure got the digging experience, so I was just wondering why.

CazDigger

Reaction score
Sometimes we find them attached to the back of the house or on the side / behind the larger outbuildings (carriage house/barn). I would try along the side property line first also though. I dug an 1840s privy last year squeezed between the driveway and side property lines just like your situation.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I asked the privy man, Eddie. I was really curious what he thought. Here's his answer: "Gosh, hard to say. Seems like a normal enough distance and area where you circled. I would probe the thin strip of grass between the driveway and the property line, and on each side of the sidewalk going back to the parking area. That point of grass that loops into the blacktop area might be good too."

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Every structure on the map is too large for a privy. The privy is most likely located on the left side as you look down at the map. Privy building are shown on our local Sanborns and are spot on for 1895 when they were made. I generally go for the oldest, which could be in the vicinity of the '90s one or completely on the other side of the lot. Most pits around here are on the sideline, or close to it. People did not want to walk far to shed the load, so to speak.

tigue710

Reaction score
Hey Mike believe it or not these three marked buildings are all privys I dug. They generally were 8' x 4' in length and width and were shared. This is a town in mass I'd love to dig again...

Ive heard but can not confirm that in colder areas they had room for small stoves in them... seems a little unpractical to say the least, but I know these things were much bigger then the space needed for a couple seats... It did seem they at least left room to shed some cloths and turn around if need be...

2C263228752943D7850CE44CCBBE3951.jpg

Attachments

• 2C263228752943D7850CE44CCBBE3951.jpg
    2C263228752943D7850CE44CCBBE3951.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 61

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sandchip

ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

As for the well, I will never do a well again in my life.

Why is that, Rick? You've sure got the digging experience, so I was just wondering why.

Because everyone we ever dug sucked lol that's why[:D] a lot of work for very little glass. Sure you could get a good one, but we prefer not to take that gamble anymore. If the well went dry early then there is a chance they filled it in with trash,bottles etc, but to know that you have to dig it.
We dug enough that were bad to turn us sour on the well digs.

Even cisterns are iffy for us,after all they were dug for water not trash & crap. We did get one good cistern with 1870s junk in it and a few good bottles. So Cisterns maybe, Wells no.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter