privy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digup16

Reaction score
hey i am 16 yo live on an old boyscout camp and do plenty of metal detecting there. However on recent searches further back in the woods i have found evidence of possible human habitation b4 boyscouts. i first found a rock w/ carvings in it and then just below almost out of site until a few feet away i found a hole 11 feet 9 inches deep. at first i thot it was a well or a cistern but after some reading i believe it is a privy but on the side of a mountain pretty much on a steep cliffway back in the woods i have looked for the house but cannot find it and i am still not sure where to strt in my investigation i was thinking of digging in the tailings of this hole which seem to provide the only flat area on the mountain. is ther any way to dig the hole w/p goin in it since i am not sure how old it is or how reliable. u can tell im new to this.......

lexdigger

Reaction score
You need a steel rod probe to find out if anything's in there before you dig it. It could be a privy, but without a house around it's unlikely. Even if the house was there long ago, there should still be some sign of a foundation or other outbuildings? Try to get a probe, or just start digging, that's the only way you'll know for sure! Good luck, Chris Capley

digup16

Reaction score
yea i have a broken golf club im gna use thanks

swizzle

Reaction score
You say the hole is almost 12 feet down and your 16 years old and your not sure if you want to go down there. Don't do it at least not without a buddy. Definately search the tailings pile. There should be shards, rusty metal, broken pipe pieces, or pottery if its a privy. At almost 12 feet deep it seems quite odd that if it was a privy that no one backfilled it. Search around the hole for boards and telltale signs of rusty nails to confirm the fact that there was a structure over the hole. It might be some boyscouts got a little wild and tried to make a pit trap to catch wild animals. Don't jump right in unless there is an easy way out then don't attempt it on your own. Walls colapse, people get hurt and killed. Try lowering your detector down to see if you can hear anything worth trying to recover. Take pics of the hole and post them also a few pics of the surrounding area. If you found a rock with carvings on it then maybe someone buried some treasure or military supplies. It could possibly be already gone or there could be some unstable fireworks in the form of TNT. Last thing you actually want to check is whats at the bottom of that hole. Post pics of the rock with the carvings. There are people out there who can read treasure signs or maybe give you a general direction as to where to go next. This could be an adventure of a lifetime or a good way to kill a few afternoons just don't kill yourself in the process. Wish I could tell you more. Swiz

digup16

Reaction score
i have done investigating and believe it or not no trash at all just some barbed wire i no it was a farm area in the late 18 and early 1900s i just dnt no wut it is or was used for i also found wut looks to be a trench dugout and i found a sorta pathway of rocks above it there also appear to be many rocks w/ cracks in em this was moonshine area too im metal detecting the place tmrow

digup16

Reaction score
no boards or nails either from wut i no about the camp ifit was boyscout ther should be trash and the nails and boards shouldnt be gone i dnt think its a well tho becuz its not sealed its also a long hike from the camp trustme takes a while lol

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide