Prof. Deans. Any ideas on rarity or value

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ellisnowens

Reaction score
Hard to make out the embossing on this one.Reads Prof.Deans King ??? A??? Wine Remedy ???

7DD4B313E4974EC5AE23244DD9929EB4.jpg

Attachments

• 7DD4B313E4974EC5AE23244DD9929EB4.jpg
    7DD4B313E4974EC5AE23244DD9929EB4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 83

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Prof Dean's / King Cactus Oil / The Great / Barbed Wire / Remedy / Olney & McDaid. No idea the value of it.

Edit: Olney & McDaid are from Clinton, Iowa, I think.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello, It looks like an interesting bottle. The finish and bottom pictures would help tell us more. Value - I can't help you. I live with the appraisal of value, being the best you can get for it. RED Matthews

botlguy

Reaction score
I agree with Red, as usual, that it's worth is what someone will give you for it that you are willing to accept. We all realize that. To get in the ball park we need to determine if others like it have sold recently. I am unfamiliar with this bottle, have no knowledge of any previous sales but I like it better than my $25.00 bill, so that is my starting offer. I like it simply for the crude embossing, I really enjoy that sort of thing. So, now you know it's worth AT LEAST $25.

If YOU like it better than my $25 bill than it's worth more than that. How much more depends on at what point you will part with it. If I had deep pockets we could continue the negotiations until you caved. Actually, it is easy for you to determine it's value, TO YOU, and that is MOST important, by simply starting with the $25 value I just placed on it and mentally escalating the value until you determine that you would be willing to part with it for that amount.

I have been scoffed at on this forum (by one particular Gentleman) for revealing that I have been collecting bottles for 45 years (and other objects for over 65 years) but it should lend some credence to my thought processes. If it doesn't simply disregard them.

BTW, this is in no way a criticism of your asking, just my thoughts on the subject

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hey Jim, I bet that $25 dollar bill is worth more, as I never have seen a $25 bill, haha! Does it have a picture of Donald Trump? If so, I bet it's as fake as his hair, yuck yuck yuck! Just had to comment....Jack. Seriously, very cool bottle, never seen one in my (Ahem) 48 years of digging bottles....would like to see the whole thing.

botlenut

Reaction score
Cool bottle indeed. I seem to remember seeing this in amber too. Maybe someone else can confirm.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlenut

Cool bottle indeed. I seem to remember seeing this in amber too. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Yes there is, one recently sold on Ebay for $66, the last clear one brought $29

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well ellisnowens, Tony I sent you a PM. and will try to point out my interest in your bottle because of the crude lettering on the glass.
I have been involved in the more modern methods of embossing lettering and decorations in bottle molds. Initial bottle development and sample glass bottles needed for the salesmen to show the customer; often required the hand chiseling of the lettering and emblematic art in the iron mold cavity.
But when this bottle's molds were made, the mold-maker didn't even have a paste or paint to create a scribe point or pencil to show his chisel path requirement. He had to do it all backwards and in reverse, to what one would write it on paper. It required a lot of skill and patience to do his job. All of the linear art work and letter cutting had to be done with out even a scribed line under it. This example is absolutely the crudest job I have ever seen in seventy six years of examining and collecting glass products.
Your bottle is a terific example of some neat early mold making skill. Thanks for sharing it with us. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau