purple ball sure seal jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TracyTN

Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone tell me anything about this jar. I dug this up out of the ground approx. 35 yrs ago. I have read a little bit about purple jars (people purposely making these jars purple) One of the things I would like to know is- did these jars ever come originally in purple? What you see now in the pic is the way it came out of the ground. Looking on ebay, I see some purple jars going pretty good $$ wise, but than I have read on a different site where these jars are not of much interest, please anything you could tell me about this would be appreciated. Thanks
IMGP0961.jpg

IMGP0966.jpg

bottlediger

Reaction score
Tracy, some early clear glass had magnesum in the glass which when it reacts to the sun light over time will turn the glass a light purplish color such as yours. Now the same glass that is DARK DARK purple can only be turned that purple by "nuke'n" it, how they do it i dont know. But yours is natural. And yes there are some early glassware that was blown ture purple.

Digger Ry

TracyTN

Reaction score
Thank you for that information. Do you think there would be any interest in this jar if I were to put it up for auction? Also would you be able to date this jar for me? Thanks

idigjars

Reaction score
Hi TracyTN, welcome to the forum. I think your jar is RB #317 circa 1911 to 1916. It lists a SCA qt/pt at $30 to $40. That would be in perfect condition. Bob Clay is the Ball fruit jar expert. He can give you more detail and confirm or correct the RB # and value for you. Take care and thanks for sharing the pic. Paul

cookie

Reaction score
Tracy- there might be some limited interest...in order for that jar to hit that 30- 40 range you'd need the bail and the matching amethyst lid-and have all be in great condition..... it's still a beautiful jar -John

TracyTN

Reaction score
Hey, Thank you all for your help. Since it doesnt look like anything worth all that much, I guess I'll just hold on to it for maybe another 35 yrs ;)
It was interesting to find out the age. Wish I had that glass lid and bail.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Good plan, something that beautiful that you dug out of the ground 35 years ago deserves to go somewhere you can see and appreciate it everyday.

TracyTN

Reaction score
You're right Cobalt, I dug this out behind my Grandmothers house back when I was about 13 yrs old.
I just thought if it could possibly be my ticket to early retirement[;)] I would get rid of it, lol!
Thanks All, Happy Digging!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR