Purpose of this product?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lucie813

Reaction score
Saw a bottle in an antiques mall this afternoon that had what appeared to be the original cork and was filled with a solidified substance that looked like white paint. The label, which was in color and about 90% intact, said "Vanilla-Vanillin Coumarin" at the top, feature a picture of a bearded man, and had a list of the ingredients plus their percentages, but no date or dosage or statement of purpose. The main ingredient was sugar syrup (almost 50%) and there was also four percent alcohol. Can someone tell me what this was for and an approximate date?

surfaceone

Reaction score
"Vanilla-Vanillin Coumarin"

Hello Lucy,

Welcome to the A-BN. Photos are very helpful in this situation.

This is the main ingredient in imitation vanilla extract, or vanilla tincture. There's a bottle containing that term on it's label 4 Sale Here.

I can't tell you a date range unless you show us some photos. The one in the healthily priced electronic auction is a screw topped early 20th century bottle. Different lip treatments are seen. This extract form has been around a long time.

10023524.jpg

Lucie813

Reaction score
Thank you very much! The bottle I saw was, I think, smaller, and had a different photo on it - it reminded me of the picture you see on certain cough drop boxes. [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward