Question on technique

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crkgrl

Reaction score
Hey all you HeMan bottle diggers! Small, but mighty, woman needs digging strategy advice. (No this is not my latest personal ad) [;)]

I dont usually dig privies or holes, although I have done both; being the aforementioned, small woman.

Recently found what appears to be an untouched 1930-50's dump site, in a small drainage area, going down a hill. From reading your posts, I know that there may be an older site underneath the current bottles. Question is: Where to start digging, as my endurance for manual labor is relatively short.

Would it be better to start at the top of the hill, bottom, middle or somewhere else? Better to try the expanded sides of the crevice or just go down the middle?

In the passing of time, many of the top layer are broken, although they seemed to fare better on the sides of the crevice.

Thanks for any help. Happy Hunting!
Liz

hbgpabottles

Reaction score
Hello...this a great question and could be helpful for all the new "diggers". I've learned the hardway as a very young digger to not just start anywhere. I like to define the dimensions if possible...get a good look at it before any serious digging. I do some primary "scratching" on the bounderies. There are often smaller secondary or in your case possibly earlier dumps close by or YES underneath the primary.

It's obvious that under most situations starting at the top of the grade has you pushing all of the "spoil" down onto undug dump. This is how you break, lose and miss stuff. I like to start at the bottom and systematically work towards the top. Remember to have a strategy...and as far as endurance just remember "the way to eat a whole elephant is by taking one bite at a time" LOL Make sure you pay close attention to the "spoil" for coin, marble and doll parts.

Your dump may pose some additional issues with more modern junk and such so beware there might be some "heavy lifting". Never lose faith in those 1800's late throws...in my forty plus diggin and collectin I've found enough to keep me on gaurd. Good Luck...if ya dig in April or May keep your eyes open for those delicious Morel mushrooms too.

mr.fred

Reaction score
Always start from the bottom[:)]-------work out the sides----and work your way up--this will also give you a foot hold going up[;)]-----dig down as far as you can--and push the dirt down hill as far as you can-----good luck and keep us posted on your finds[:D].

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
The older bottles will usually be in the middle and at the deepest level of the dump if on a flat surface. However, because you are digging a ravine you need to follow Fred's advise and start at the bottom of the hill or ravine and work your way up to the top throwing everything down as you go. No matter where you are always dig to the bottom which is usually defined by the hard clay. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress and of course your finds.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yes, start at the bottom of the hill and work your way towards the top. You may find yourself digging deep down and into the hill. Always check the clay "bottom" to make sure it isn't a cap. I've seen dumps that were capped over many times during the decades they were in use. If you can still easily push a shovel into it with your foot, it most likely isn't the bottom.

As far as the size thing goes, my little five foot two wife digs right along with the best of em. The easiest way I've found to move Lots of dirt is to remain standing and dig with my foot. You can easily push it in, you don't have to stomp it! For anything tough or hard, we use an iron digger or spud bar. It can be hard work at times, but you will find ways to move as much dirt as any of the rest of us. One of the Best ways to remove spoils from a deep hole is by pulling buckets tied to a rope.

What part of Ky are ya'll in? Can't wait to see if you get some good stuff outta there!!!

Happy Hunting.

crkgrl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. You are the bestest!! Start at the bottom, I will.

One minor problem is access to the site. At the bottom, it is heavily populated. At the top, it is a semi-private park like setting. It may be a trick getting tools in. The fewer onlookers and curious, the better, right?

Hey Lex-digger, I am a little north of you. The warmer weather sure has been a break.

madman

Reaction score
if the ground is loose and its on a hill side get ya a long handled potato rake pretty easy

madman

Reaction score
getting tools in can be hard somtimes but check out the area youll figure it out

tigue710

Reaction score
The best technique is research, especially in what it sounds like you have you here. If this is a large dump it could be quite deep to the older stuff, like 30 feet. But in any case why is the garbage there? Is it close to older houses or far out of town? Did the town use it or the highway department? If the highway department used it the could of dumped tons and tons of undigable fill in there. If it's far out of town it's a later land fill and no good. One of the major players in dumping habits was the automobile, making it easier to get trash far away and out of sight. 90 percent of the time trash from the 50's and 60's is just that, trash. Even on most small farms they moved the dumping area far out away from the earlier dumps close to the house. Sometimes though there is old stuff in there or under, it all depends on the needs and limitations of the people who dumped there...

druggistnut

Reaction score
Liz,
First of all, I see you are of Gaelic descent (I think), as your name is spelled with an "s,"
instead of a z. Funny how nick names can utilize letters which weren't originally in the given name.

When you dig, especially if you are going in TO a bank, make sure to angle your dig, like a large V. You do not want your walls straight up and down.

If you hit some hard packed stuff, with a lot of rust, followed by what seems to be many feet (sometimes over 10') of fluffy ash, KEEP GOING. The older bottles, such as blobs, hutches, medicines, etc..., will be under this ash layer. You might even hit weird pockets of bottles every once in a bit, and not see any again for hours.

If you're that petite, someone would be able to hold you by your ankles, as you were plucking goodies out of the side walls of the dig! (My imagination is working overtime on this concept) lol Maybe I can use my grandkids this way??
Good luck, and be sure to keep us in the loop.
Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85