questions on a couple of bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
Put the purple one out in the sun light and it will possibly turn it a darker purple giving it a little more value or a tleast more eye appeal.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey John,
Nice that you are out there finding stuff. I like the Home Brewing Company bottle best. It is obviously a beer bottle which means it is pre-prohibition (1919). However, with the tooled (or applied) crown that it has, it likely dates between 1900-1910. Its value depends largely on how rare it is. If it is unusually rare, it could be pretty good. If it is common, it may be only worth a buck or two. Neat old bottle, though.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
A few more points. The shadow image (if you will) of the F on the bottom does not help the value (or hurt it) in any way. It is something that happens as the molten glass is blown into the mold. It is kind of neat I guess but not a big factor in the value.

The flask has what we collectors call whittling on the neck. Also part of the bottle making process. It is neat and crude and collectors generally like a bottle with lots of crudeness. That flask also dates to the turn of the century but I think the other commentators are correct. It is not super valuable without embossing specific to a brand or town that collectors want.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Johnleffert; Welcome to the FORUM. Have you picked up a posted copy of my advise to new bottle collectors? If not, PM me and I will send you one. RED Matthews

johnleffert

Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot for the info everybody, it really helped. I need all the help I can get, as I am just getting started. I will be sure to post pics of any more neat bottles that I find.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Back to you John Leffert;

This is to explain the cause for the Double strike on the bottom of the first bottle you pictured in this thread with the Double Strike of the Circle; with an "/ F " in it.

When the parison form is established by the bottle maker. ( And this.parison form is what provides glass for the uniform thickness of the bottle creation’s walls, shoulders, bottom heals, and the sidewalls and the bottoms of the bottle.) When he puts the formed parison in the final mold, for the final blow, there is some time laps for taking in his air supply, before the final blow happens. During that few seconds, the parison is stretched by the pull of gravity. In the case of this bottle the parison lightly touched the embossed bottom plate and picked up the ghost image on the glass. The occurrence of the final blow put the hot glass into the embossed subject, (Circled F)..

RED Matthews

smitleydjd

Reaction score
It was Michael Berger, a German immigrant, who started what eventually became the New Philadelphia Brewing Company in 1864 along the southern bank of the Ohio Erie Canal, where U.S. 250 runs today. In 1905, in order to address rising competition in the marketplace both locally and nationally, the New Philadelphia Brewing Company joined in partnership with the Schuster Brewing Company in Massillon, the Canton Brewing Company, the Stark Brewing Company of Canton and the Christian Bernhardt Brewery Company of Canal Dover

Attachments

• 20240412_140404.jpg
    20240412_140404.jpg
    980.5 KB · Views: 9

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
I just joined the sight and I am a novice collector. I have a few bottles here and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the age, rarity and or value of the three bottles. Thank you -John

E65EFFB0332A48CEA5F12FBC503E34B2.jpg
The beer probably dates post 1900, but before 1915. The Sloan's Liniment appears to be machine made, post 1920 but possibly post 1930.

Mike0611

Reaction score
I thought you might want to see this, it’s from my collection.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Members online

Latest threads