Railroad surprise & 'Cure' Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David Osborn

Reaction score
I found a huge old dump in a ravine here in Omaha. After going down three feet and not (yet) getting past about 1920, i got tired and mad and decided to walk the tracks down below. (i've never done that before with my eyes peeled)
Imagine my surprise to find a Piso's Consumptive 'Cure' (in three pieces). I climbed the hill right at that point and found a 9 inch 'Cramers Kidney and Liver Cure (broken) right on TOP of the Dirt. Digging in, i've found a new pre-1900 spot !! Just a tip for those, like me, who spend all their ravine-time looking Down on the tracks instead of Walking them !!
My question: When was the cut-off year for banning the word 'cure' on a bottle. I've never run into the word before so figure these are a bit older.
Also, found two enticing fragments and wonder if i can get a name and date on each ? The bottom picture piece looks like a gryphon or dragon to me. Dave.

David Osborn

Reaction score
Second photo

Here is the 2nd mystery piece i'd like id'ed. That face on the first one looks a little like a wolf if that helps.

woody

Reaction score
You're right in the right area, Dave.
Those pieces are what you want to look for in older bottles.
I don't know what the wolf piece is but the other looks to be from a paneled medicine or bitters bottle.
The Pure Food and Drug act of 1906 did away with the cures and other claims they couldn't prove on the older bottles.
You're in a good area from the pieces you have described.

ENOCHO

Reaction score
O.K. if thats the truth i got a HALL'S CATARRH CURE bottle machine made i would say very early machine made (by the many bubbles) it had to be alittle after the 1906 date ? also would say most of the hall's i have seen on ebay where blue in color but mine is clear ? ENOCHO

medbottle

Reaction score
Greetings all. Here is a great site that explains the history behind the laws listed in diggerjeff's link. http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~/lrd/history1.html The reason your ABM bottle still has the word "cure" on it is because the 1906 law had major loop holes. The biggest one was that the government had to prove an intent to defraud on the part of the seller. All the snake oil salesman had to do was state that he genuinely believed his product did what it claimed, and he was off the hook. Hence, many of these medicines were sold for several years after the 1906 act. The web site explains it in much better detail than I can here. It's really great reading, especially for medicine collectors.[:)]

medbottle

Reaction score
oops, my bad....there shoudn't be a / after the ~ http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/history1.html

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75