rare 1/2 pint double eagle before/after

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

the ham man

Reaction score
i gotta go with the cleaned up version. i dont see how people say it looks newer. if anything i think it looks older with all the whittleing(not sure if i spelled that right)[:)].it would make a great window bottle now! thanks for sharing

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think there are certain bottles whose sickness adds to their charm, but that was not the case with this flask.. it looks much better cleaned up, in my opinion.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
tumbling normally involves cutting and polishing. Excessively cut bottles are definately a bad thing. Thats where you get that weird fading of the embossing.
Its all in the eye of the beholder (or holder) though ...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
If your doing if for sale you kindof gotta do it or you'll get nothing. If your sending to auction you do have to mention it though. I don't know which would make more but it still should be said. A serious collector will know.

druggistnut

Reaction score
Aaron,
There were two of us on this dig, hence a split. I really don't collect flasks, but I do keep some of them I have dug. You're right, if I had dug it on my own, it would have stayed with me, soap and water cleaned, as it was. None of the hutches in my collection have been tumbled and very few druggists.
Bottom line, Tom and I couldn't some up with a value we were comfortable with ( some flasks have been going nuts) and what we kinda half-hazardly guessed at, neither of us wanted to or could afford to buy the other out.
This flask has no orange peel effect of slickness that is referred to here. It is one of the best cleanings I have ever laid eyes on.
Bill

suzanne

Reaction score
You are right, someone did a fabulous cleaning job. You can look at the demarcation lines between the highlights on the bottle and the shaded parts and see that the original rough surface is still there.

Who did the cleaning?

suzanne

Reaction score
If everyone is voting on wether it looks better cleaned or not I couldn't decide. If it was my bottle I would just get rid of the damage that detracted from the bottles appearance or didn't enhance it.

div2roty

Reaction score
This is perhaps the enduring debate for bottle collectors, to tumble or not to tumble. Some love the bottles real shiney, some completely as found and others reside in the middle.

I find it hard to always tell the extent of tumbling from pictures. In general I hate the over tumbled, slick bottles that will slip right through your fingers. This bottle looks pretty good, but it also looked pretty good before too.

Sometimes I'll lightly tumble only the inside and see how that looks before doing anything else.

As far as selling goes, an untumbled bottle can always be tumbled after its sold if thats what the new owner wants. Sadly, a tumbled bottle can't be untumbled if thats what the new owner wants.

Just my two cents, sorry no refunds.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Aaron,
There were two of us on this dig, hence a split. I really don't collect flasks, but I do keep some of them I have dug. You're right, if I had dug it on my own, it would have stayed with me, soap and water cleaned, as it was. None of the hutches in my collection have been tumbled and very few druggists.
Bottom line, Tom and I couldn't some up with a value we were comfortable with ( some flasks have been going nuts) and what we kinda half-hazardly guessed at, neither of us wanted to or could afford to buy the other out.
This flask has no orange peel effect of slickness that is referred to here. It is one of the best cleanings I have ever laid eyes on.
Bill

Well that's a good reason I suppose. What else came out of the pit? Good thing you guys divide up the spoils the way you do or someone would have been bummin. How would you have felt if you were digging with the ol "keep what you find" rule and your digging partner found it, or visa versa? That would SUCK!!!!! I have heard of diggers having a "mutual" collection, but I don't know how much I would dig that either. Is that the best bottle you guys have dug, together or alone? Sure is pretty. Hope you guys get top dollar for it, especially if it's 1 of 2 known in that color, or unique in that color. Congrats again.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler