rare 1/2 pint double eagle before/after

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Topusmc

Reaction score
BLUF: If you gonna keep it on your shelf, don't matter if you clean it up or nor, if you are gonna sell it, you better clean it to get the best $$$. Folks don't pay max dollars for a sick bottle.

BLUF= Bottom Line Up Front. Little military speak slipping out...

I like mine clean, bright and shiny. I like to buy those sick bitters and sodas for a fraction of what they cost mint, spend $15 bucks getting them tumbled and see that my investment has tripped or more in value. The best part is that I usually trade a bottle or two to my cleaner as his fee, helps me and also helps him as I he cleans the ones I trade him and makes a good deal more than a normal bottle cleaning fee.

Lordbud

Reaction score
I collect bottles because I enjoy local history and history in general. I think this country was some kind of place when our citizens made things by hand and were able to live on the wages they made with their own abilities of craftsmanship. I understand that a cleaned bottle will bring more money at auction. If you like making money off of your hobby then that's a win-win for you: doing something you love and you're adding some dollars to your income. I don't know what any of my bottles will bring after I'm gone and one of my children receives them via my will. I sold all my tumbled bottles a few years ago on ebay and damn they did bring a whole lot more than I paid for them back in the day. Until I find an upgrade that's attic mint or basement-never-buried or "found in the wall space" of an old house example of any of my bottles I'm happy to keep them in original state. An altered/cleaned coin, stamp or comic book never brings as much money as an original example of the same item in mint condition. Why collectors of antique bottles are willing to accept the exact opposite I don't think I understand. But to each his own. Tumble, clean and alter history all you want if that is your preference.

Dansalata

Reaction score
i agree, to each their own!!!

5817A36FB56C48EDA432153268215187.jpg

Attachments

• 5817A36FB56C48EDA432153268215187.jpg
    5817A36FB56C48EDA432153268215187.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 63

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Naaaaa keep it a little dirty.It was in the dark dirty hole for over 100+ years,it might feel strange being all shiny a clean.[:D]
"keep the history on it"

justanolddigger

Reaction score
An altered/cleaned coin, stamp or comic book never brings as much money as an original example of the same item in mint condition
but a properly cleaned coin will bring much more than that same coin in lousy condition. I also hate comparing hobbies, you can't handle or touch any of the above without destroying the value, is that is what is next for the bottle purists also??
Bill

rraack

Reaction score
Wow, that looks like a nice flask and it appears to have cleaned up nicely! At auction I do not believe there is any question that a clean, ' perfect looking bottle (like the flask) is going to command a higher price than a bottle that has been significantly altered by the action of minerals. On the other hand I have seen some very intriguing, dug bottles, and I can understand why some collectors, especially those who have experience digging prefer them as found, because it is now apart of that bottle's history, as Tim stated. One of the things that attracts me to old glass is the unique transparent and refractive properties, which are quite distinct from any new glass (within the past 100+ years). Personally, I try to avoid purchasing pro-cleaned bottles anymore, though it is harder to find really fine untouched specimens. I have passed on many bottles simply because of minor condition issues. I guess the reason is their resale value, as I do intend to sell all my bottles some day and take a nice vacation with my wife.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I think your bottle would have come out better if it had only been tumbled for two or two and a half weeks instead of the full three. A bottle that is being tumbled should be checked on at least once a week or even better yet every four days. I know it is a lot of work to do that, but, once it has been over tumbled there is no going back.....Andy

druggistnut

Reaction score
Andy,
He did check the bottle a couple of times a week, turned the cannister, etc..
He also has fins in his tubes which prevent the typical circular motion. I don't have them in my tubes and I had never heard of them before.
I could watch the action through the clear PVC and it was an agitating action, not circular.
The plastic beads caused NO discernable wear.
John Pastor will have this flask with him for the next few months, if anyone wants to see it in person.
Bill

petepal

Reaction score
Not all bottles should be professionaly cleaned. Here is an example

Attachments

• FFAD32DEC8184EE584C465D0F74206C2.jpg
    FFAD32DEC8184EE584C465D0F74206C2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 64

justanolddigger

Reaction score
I totally disagree, I think it looks great. The bottle was going to be sold. It would have brought less than 1/2 it's value before it was cleaned, it well do very well now. If it had been sold cheap dirty, I am sure the new owner would have had it cleaned,I know I would have. Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster