rare 1/2 pint double eagle before/after

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
I'd agree, to pay $15 or more to clean the pictured bottle would be a waste. I think Bill's bottle looks better now, however. Are you going to sell that thing or not, Bill?[:D]

At what price level, do you and your partners sell and split?

ORIGINAL: petepal

Not all bottles should be professionaly cleaned.  Here is an example

druggistnut

Reaction score
Are you going to sell that thing or not, Bill?[:D]

At what price level, do you and your partners sell and split?

Yes, Doug. We're going to have John Pastor do it.

Well, we have sold and split bottles ranging from 200.00 to 1,000. I recently bought Tom out of a bottle (gave him 500.00) and hope to get a couple bottles in trade for it. It depends if one of us collects a certain thing. We always cut each other some slack, if it is something we dug and one of us collects, though.
For example, Tom dug a very rare beer last summer and Brian was able to give Tom a couple hundred for it, where Tom might have gotten another 2-300 for it. We know it comes around, for each of us.
I'll post the auction of the flask, when it comes up. We hope it comes even partially near what we have been told it is worth. Crossing our fingers, yanno?
Bill

splante

Reaction score
I have to agree with burriedtreasuretime, the tumbled bottle just dosnt look right for such an old bottle. It actually by the picture ,looks ruined to me. clean section then a streaky section right near the eagle. unless it just the picture. ok you can direct some of those tomatoes at me now. I know its not antique furniture but if you screw with the original finish you decrese the value
ORIGINAL: buriedtreasuretime

This is a beautiful piece but why do we have to make these amazing pieces of history look like they have no history. Yes I know that we love our shiny bottles but maybe that should be those that are found under houses or in attics or towers or ash dumps not affected by water or content stain. I remember as a boy at just the thrill of finding these beautiful things covered in muck and then washed off they have that wonderful hazy softness of being buried 140+ years. I own two of these flasks in the pale aqua, a large and a small and I bought them on EBAY and they are tumbled to death and so they look so "new". This wonderful green flask seemed to have such a great overall softness to it before anything was done. I hope that we dont do that to everything we unearth. But that is just my thought, you will probably throw tomatoes at me now! I just had to say it... Tim

splante

Reaction score
The diffrence i feel is if you clean a coin as a bottle with soap , water,brushes ect thats one thing if you polish a coin and are honest when you try to sell it good luck, if you tumble a bottle you are removing layers of the original finish and i feel it is no longer original,and if you disclose that you tumbled the bottle when you sell it I guessing you will turn off a lot of buyers.again just my opinion it
ORIGINAL: justanolddigger

An altered/cleaned coin, stamp or comic book never brings as much money as an original example of the same item in mint condition
but a properly cleaned coin will bring much more than that same coin in lousy condition. I also hate comparing hobbies, you can't handle or touch any of the above without destroying the value, is that is what is next for the bottle purists also??
Bill

justanolddigger

Reaction score
you are dead wrong on both counts of cleaning. If you take a brush or soap to a coin, it has been cleaned. They do not tumble coins. ANY cleaning of a coin is unacceptable. Just as you tried to point to different levels of cleaning coins, that is exactly what tumbling a botte can do also. To just clean a bottle with polish DOES NOT remove any layers of glass or touch the embossing in any way, it is doing just what it says, cleaning. The next level is when you start to use cutters, that does remove layers of glass. A bottle can be overtumbled, where it is easily visible and slick, that is what turns most people off, but a properly cleaned bottle is hard to discern from the real deal, don't throw all cleaning out because some don't know the proper techniques.

splante

Reaction score
point well taken on the coins, I would never atempt to clean a coin was trying to use it to make a point,but have seen coins tumbled in crushed walnut shells.the coin is super shiny but you can see the wear and it is obivious. I still feel there is a diffrence from cleaning a bottle to remove the layers of dirt with whatever,compared to being in a tumbler with copper or shot for weeks which definatly removes glass. I guess I should of left my examples as to tumble or not to tumble and not thrown in the cleaning examples

splante

Reaction score
interesting poll on another thread resuts as of this AM
, only 2% in it for the money and 2% want clean and shiny bottles no matter how old. Majority in it for the history aspects

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Isn't it great how our views are so different?! Both sides of it have great points. Personally for me, I like flasks that are clean. Which I think Matt mentioned also. A light tumble usually is well responded to. I think it looks nice. Best of luck with your auction.

~Tim

druggistnut

Reaction score
auction update

The flask is now shown in the preview link on www.americanglassgallery.com
It is in the second row, last item to the right.
Personally, it looks to have too much light reflected off it, and it seems to wash the color/definition out of the flask. Hopefully, the rest of the pictures John took are more representative of this wonderful piece.
The auction begins June 1st, I have my fingers crossed.
Bill

epackage

Reaction score
RE: auction update

I'll stick with my original thought that the bottle looked better before tumbling, but i hope you get alot of cash for it.

I also see an AC Evans, I guess the Wilmington Boys are gonna sell at least one, it has been tumbled clean too I see.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster