Rare maybe? cobb bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

babywontsleep

Reaction score
Hello all,
First post so bare with me. I have a cobb stopper bottle. It is 9 inches high. On the bottom it says JW Dobson Maker Barnslay. On the front of it it says D Clifton.
Trademark Stockport. On this website it states that this particular maker that possibly only one other bottle with this name is or has been found.
http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABBottleManufBeerSoda.htm

I am having trouble photographing it. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thank you
Andra

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Welcome Andra,
Have you got a newborn baby keeping you up? If so, congratulations. (If not, ignore the comment - I just assumed that from your name).

A Codd bottle is an English design that uses a marble to seal the contents. We were just talking about one recently. Check this link to see it. Best of luck collecting (and sleeping).
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-356329/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#360657

babywontsleep

Reaction score
Thanks for the congratulations but my baby is 11 yrs old and still doesn't sleep, the name just stuck. The one I have is not on that site. This is the only pic I have managed to take of it. Thanks for the quick reply.
Andra

Attachments

• 3AC44B6E9C5F4840B4CF3F26AEF21838.jpg
    3AC44B6E9C5F4840B4CF3F26AEF21838.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 132

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
It certainly is a Codd bottle. I am not anywhere near an expert on them. If you read the other thread, you know that they are not always old. In some places, they are still used. In my opinion, US made ones are generally more rare and are worth more. Having said all of that, they are an oddity and people do collect them.

babywontsleep

Reaction score
RE: Rare maybe? codd bottle

Thank you again for your help.

Dobson, John W., (approx: 1882-approx: 1898),
Barnsley, England, Occurs on 1 bottle,
Manufactured soda bottles. In 1872 Sutcliff and Wade started the Oaks Glass Bottle Works in Barnsley. In 1877 Dobson joined the partnership. One year later the firm was known as Wade & Dobson and continued until at least 1879. By 1884, Dobson alone was the proprietor of the Oaks Glass Bottle Works. By 1899, it had become a limited liability company and by 1903, it was known as Dobson & Nall, Limited. Dobson & Nall also manufactured bottle cases and some bottles are marked as such a way. The markings are on the reverse heel of the bottle.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
RE: Rare maybe? codd bottle

Where are you from, Andra? (no need to be too specific!)

Blackglass

Reaction score
I did a little digging around....

First of all, your bottle is NOT listed on THIS SITE , so the likelyhood of it being a repro is low.

I can have no idea of how much this bottle is worth or its rarity, but the version you have is not listed on Tod's (sodasandbeers.com) website, so it
might​
be a rare one. Codd bottles generaly are worth over $20 if they are not damaged or a reproduction.

I hope someone can find you some history on this bottle and good luck!

MTL

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I saw many with one or the other names. Most of the pictures I saw were small and undetailed. One Canada site had a small pic but the more info page kept timing out. http://www.theouthouse.ca/s_72.asp?g_id={8E72C230-28B8-4553-8F27-6036538199AC}
Clifton was a beer or mineral water from 1850-1923. That site had no pictures but the Maker wasn't Dobson
Worthpoint had 2, one was a Codd but the picture and bottle were terrible. Marked Cannington, Shaw and Co., Ltd Makers; St. Helen
Of coarse this interweb is a wealth of misinformation and contradiction as well as truth and you can't believe everything you read.
Unfortunately that must also be said of my post.

babywontsleep

Reaction score
The fact that there seems to be no info on this particular bottle, D Clifton and Dobson in that combination, does it increase or decrease the value or is there even any value?

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty